MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Stuggling with extreme Hypomania/Cyclothemia?

I am 31 years old and am from a family where 6 of my grandmothers direct line (she, and 5 of her kids) have suffered from some sort of biploar disorder. My Mom and Uncle have committed suicide already. I have been told that I am Hypomanic but it has not been officially diagnosed. Lately, I have been very manic and self medicating by partying or drinking from time to time has been like playing Russian roulette. My system can simply take too much and I lose control and black out. Something else takes over. Any words of advice? I had a drug overdose at 4 years old and was in a coma at Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh. I feel like I've struggled with this "being off" for too long. To more accurately describe my state, I would say that I am "manic" or "balls to the wall" per se in everything that I do. I have a high IQ, 147, and coordinated missile attacks in the middle east on nuclear subs. I am very dialed in and great at everything I do when working-almost too serious with business as I've been told (In Real Estate for last 6 years). Oftern, I am thinking so far past things that I miss simple things. I need stimulation all the time. I want sex constantly, my finances suffer because they are just simply not a concern to me. I've always lived by "live it up while you're here" mantra which is totally counterproductive my goals for success as a father and business man in life.  I amusually very, very positive and the life of the party if you will. When I party, I party, when I work, I work. My rhythm seems to be manic for long periods and then I burn out and drink or party once a week or every other week to blow off steam. Lately, I've been getting into fights and hitting on girls I normally would not hit on (a friend whose boyfriend I respect). I was so disappointed in myself but remmber none of it. That disappointment in myself is making me consider stopping all drugs/alcohol. I've been sober for two weeks and have gone to celebrate recovery at my church. I DO NOT think I have an y type of drug or alcohol maddiction. I just can't stop or control the mania if I do those things. Lately, evven sober, I feel my mind SPINNING all the time and I ddwell on negative things too muc. This is NOT the person I want to be. I have an appointment with a Psychiatrist in the next month but that freaks me out too. Help if you can. My first child is on the way and I want to get this under control before it hurts me. I have read the symptoms of Cyclothemia and I fit EACH sysmptom. Is there any hope for me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course! I was referred to your site and paid $22 for an answer. I chose that particular doctor based on his qualifications and amount of positive responses. The site said he was online and ready to answer me. What happened?

Thank you. Which Expert did you want to chat with? Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont remember his name. A psychiatrist please

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still nothing a day later?
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, there ABSOLUTELY IS hope for you.
At the same time, there are a number of complicated issues here that have to be identified specifically before they can be treated appropriately, including your mood issues, your need for stimulation, your drinking, and perhaps others. The purposes of a face-to-face psychiatric evaluation is to identify these problems, but sometimes it is confusing, for example, if someone has bipolar disorder (or some variant of it, such as cyclothymia) or ADHD (or both) or something else. As such, the best thing to do is to give the psychiatrist as much detail as you can (concisely) about these symptoms/behaviors. That way, he/she will have the best opportunity to start unraveling these problems and knowing how to best treat you. It might be very helpful for your wife/girlfriend to go with you to the psychiatry appointment; often spouses give a ton of really helpful information - but it isn't mandatory. It will also be helpful to jot down on a calendar just 3-4 words every day between now and your appointment that describe what your mood was like that day. Such a "mood diary" is very helpful to psychiatrists.

Bipolar disorder and attention problems are very treatable, and from what you've shared, I don't see why you couldn't be appropriately stabilized so that you can focus on living a life that is more fulfilling than it is now.

Does this make sense?
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to indicate what some of these things may sound like? Or is it too broad of a question to draw any conclusions from?
It sounds as if you may have some type of bipolar disorder and/or ADHD, as well as overuse of alcohol. That said, without assessing you face-to-face, I cannot make a diagnosis.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist