MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Fifteen years ago when I had a neuroleptic malignant syndrome

Fifteen years ago when I had a neuroleptic malignant syndrome reaction and am ery concerned becuase I was prescribed 20 ml of serance daily by a new psychiatrist . I have been gradually redcuing this daily dose by 1ml a week and I am now down to 12.5 mls per day . I have felt very suicidal at times but took 4 ml of valium and wen tfor a walk each time and was fine . I plan to reduce this drug by as little as 0.5 per week and untilI get down to 5ml per day would like to know if this is a reasonable safe approach .

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question, this is not safe to do n your own. It is not a good idea to decrease or stop psychiatric medications on your own. With the concerns you have it would be BEST for you if you discussed them with your psychiatrist, especially since you struggle with feeling suicidal.