TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Kate, I am feeling extremely anxious not to mention pressure

Hi Kate,

I am feeling extremely anxious not to mention pressure with respect to my appt. with my therapist tomorrow.

Have you ever had a patient who just didn't know what to say? I usually write out a few things I want to talk to her about before our session simply to remind myself what has been going on, bothering me, etc.

But I can't seem to come up with anything for tomorrow. It isn't that I don't need help on a number of issues but I just feel like I don't know what to say. The problem is my therapist always tells me that the time is mine to use how I want. But what if what I want and what I am able to say are not the same.

I feel I should cancel our time for tomorrow due to my inability of being able to say anything of importance.

Hi Kathy,

There are many times when someone will feel they do not have anything to talk about in therapy. And often, that is when therapy is most effective. Having nothing to talk about can indicate that you are stuck. If your overall issue is not resolved yet, then being stuck is usually about issues that you are either not aware of yet or do not want to face.

Your therapy is supposed to be directed by you. The therapist is there to guide you, but they cannot bring up topics. If they did that, you would not get much resolved because what they brought up would not be what you need to work on but instead what they feel you need to work on.

You may want to talk about that fact that you have nothing to talk about. This sounds odd, but as I mentioned, having nothing to bring up usually means there are things that are bothering you that you cannot get in touch with. Your therapist can help you figure out what that might be.