MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Hi, I believe my girl friend suffers from a NPD (narcissistic

Hi, I believe my girl friend suffers from a NPD (narcissistic personality disorder). I've suggested she visit a professional, but she say's she's tried that before and feels she knows more than the mental health counselor. (I'm sure this is typical). Can you recommend a course of action? I've threaten her with breaking up if she doesn't get into therapy, but would really like to help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
If your girlfriend does in fact have narcissistic personality disorder, it will be practically impossible for that to change. The question is if she has it or not. Why do you think she has it?
It is common, even typical for narcissistic people to believe that they know more than therapists/counselors/psychiatrists, and to believe that they cannot gain even the smallest bit of useful information or insight from them. As such, it is very hard to get them to consistently attend and engage in therapy. Unfortunately, too, while personality characteristics can be tempered through therapy or life experiences, they are pretty much set for life by young adulthood. While you may not want to hear this, I'd have to be dishonest with you to say that there is anything short of a miracle that is apt to fix narcissism. Miracles seem to happen on occasion, too, but one cannot count on it.

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I expected this answer. In desperation, I've read all the info on the internet and in particular found this site:
which attempts to describe symptoms on a personal level.
I've been living with this person now for 5 months and found she's been trying to rekindle a former lover through constant txt'ing and occasional phone calls for which she lies incensantly. I confronted her a couple of times with evidence and have asked her to move out (she's agreed multiple times but quite never does). I've now sought and found legal advice to remove her from my home on this matter if it comes down to that. She was supposed to resolve this matter with her "former" boyfriend this last weekend but he refused to see her claiming he was busy. She now say's she recognizes that attempting to resolve this with her former is a mistake, a fantasy and will not pursue him again and that she would go for "help". I of course, have heard this many time and I'm not waiting to get burned again. I'm continuing to avoid confrontation, to avoid getting her violent as she's struck me in the past with no harm, and I'm trying to get her move out quietly.
Anyway, thanks for your confirmation.
I'm glad I could be of help. I wish you the best.