MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

Sleeping

Customer Question

I am on Effexor XR 75mg and Seroquel XR 50mg for sleep. I am still having sleeping issues so I don't think the Seroquel is helping with that. I almost have a fear now every night that I WONT sleep. I was on benzos for 4 months to help sleep and it's like my body now depends on those to fall asleep. I've tried chamomile and melatonin but thy relax my body but still can't fall asleep. Would increasing my Effexor XR help with my anxiety about sleep?? Or do I just bite the bullet and fight through this? I don't want to go back on sleep meds.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

I think I can help you with this, but I need a bit more information first. Specifically, how old are you? Do you take any other medications at all? If so, which ones and what are their doses? Also, how long does it take you to fall asleep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 28 years old. I take Effexor XR 75 and Seroquel XR 50 and I take magnesium, multi-vitamin and fish oil. It takes me forever to fall asleep. The problem is I'll doze off and abruptly wake back up. This goes on for 1-2 hours. It's like my mind doesn't want me to sleep but my body is so tired.
I see.
Effexor XR can be somewhat energizing and it can interfere with sleep. That said, if your insomnia is due to depression and/or anxiety and the Effexor XR helps those (which it can), you may actually sleep better on more of it. There's no way to predict if that will happen; it must be tried to find out.

50mg is a low dose of Seroquel XR. Some people will sleep fine on it, but many will not. The most straightforward thing to do to improve your sleep would be to talk to your doctor about increasing the Seroquel XR. Some people take 200-300mg of it to help with sleep.
Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want off the Seroquel as soon as I can. I don't like it. I was on 100mg and came down to 50mg. I mostly have anxiety that is affecting the sleep. I get anxious before bed and so on. It's like my mind won't let me fall asleep. I take the Effexor at night becuase it seems to calm my nerves before bed a little. Would taking more Effexor really help my anxiety about sleep or do I need to just deal with it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My therapist says I'm thinking too much about it, obsessing, and that's why I can't sleep. I just don't know how not to worry about it when you're so tired.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also have a question in terms of sleep hygeine. Should I try to go to sleep later or lay in bed until I fall asleep? Also, if I wake up in the middle of the night should I get up or stay in bed?
Taking more Effexor might help. It's certainly worth a try. 75mg is a pretty low dose.

It's best to go to bed at a normal time, but then if you cannot sleep after 20 minutes, get up and do something boring - really. Do not do something that will catch your interest. Don't check your email or get on FaceBook. Read a boring book. Then when you get drowsy, go back to bed.

If you awaken during the night, if you cannot go back to sleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something boring until you are tired again. This is so you do not give your brain the message that it's "okay" to be in bed and worrying - it needs the message being in bed is for sleeping.

Does this make sense?
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.