TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I was wondering if you were still wanting to try and

I was wondering if you were still wanting to try and help me and offer suggestions and guidance to me. I know it has been a while since I last wrote. It was your emails about my going to the ER that made me feel you couldn't help me anymore and that I was on my own.

Hi Kathy, it's good to hear from you!

Last time we spoke you were saying that you wanted to hurt yourself. In such a situation, I can certainly be there for you as much as possible with emotional support and try to help you cope, but wanting to hurt yourself is considered an emergency. If you are in a crisis and need immediate attention, then I must refer you to the professionals that can do you the most good. In the case of a person wanting to hurt themselves, that would be the local ER/ ambulance service. It is unethical and even dangerous for someone like me, who is communicating with you by the internet, to try to keep you safe through posting to you. I can only support you so much then I must refer you to someone who can help. There was nothing else I could do from here. If you were seeing me face to face, I would have done the same thing. The main focus is keeping you safe and providing the best care possible. I understand that would feel like you were being told I didn't want to talk with you, but that is far from the truth. I wanted to keep you safe.

We can certainly continue to talk. I would like that.