TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX im 20 years old. When i was 16

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have been in touch with Anna a psychologist from this site before a long time ago. When i was 16 i had my first girlfriend, and after a few months i found myself becoming incredibly jealous and overprotective, never agressive but only ever sad and upset with myself for feeling the way i did. I would ask who she talked to and what she did each day, if any men had spoken to her etc without even understanding WHY i needed to know. Just the thought of other people being attracted to her made me feel awful.It got to a point where i was so distressed that she had no choice but to leave. I spent a year single and my life went back to normal. Toward the end of this year i met another girl who i fell in love with, soon after i was horrified to find that these feelings quickly returned, and i explained this to her, she was very understanding and supportive. However as the months went on this issue caused me to suffer from panick attacks, i was sick a few times daily and i lost a lot of weight. I nearly lost my job and was put on anti-depressant medication wich i found entirely undhelpful. Eventually i had no choice, i felt as i wanted to take my own life so as prompted to by Anna i went to accident and emergency department where i told them my story, i was signed off from work and told to attend a clinic daily for people suffering neurotic disorders. I found the process did not help me, i spent hours and hours over many many months researching what might be wrong with me, and became obsessed with finding some form of diagnosis or something that could help me understand what i need to do to fix myself. Eventually after 2 years my girlfriend left me. I have been on a course training to be a paramedic for the last 6 months, during this time i met another nice girl, as i have grown closer to her this feeling is back. I feel sick, i cannot look anybody in the face, i feel depressed and i feel as if i want to stay in my room and not talk to anybody. I WANT so much to be happy with someobody, she is so kind and perfect for me, and yet as soon as i get close to somebody this feeling comes to plague me, it means i spend 99%of my time in that relationship talking about my problem rather than enjoying their company. This cannot go on and i need to understand. I have been told many things through the therapies i have been to, ranging from OCD to self esteem issues. My mind never switches off and i have been losing sleep and quality of life hugely. I need to know if these are intrusive thoughts that should be ignored, or should i be adressing the problem and working it out rather than ignoring it. It is in my nature to understand things, and i dont feel comfortable progressing with any techniques or ideas until i am certain that i am doing the right thing. I really hope that you can help me in some way to understand this as it is tearing my life to bits. Thankyou so much.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Anna has not been on Just Answer for a while, so I hope it is ok that I help you.

I agree with whoever gave you the diagnosis of OCD. When you describe intrusive thoughts, obsessive focus on your jealousy, feeling ill and feeling that your mind does not switch off you are indicating symptoms associated with OCD.

You may not have been able to find relief yet because your problem is both emotional and physical. The physical feelings that you have are as a result of how your brain operates. The sympathetic nervous system, when aroused, causes production of many different chemicals in your body. These include adrenaline, cortosol, and in males, testosterone. At least two of these chemicals are toxic to your body over time and can cause symptoms ranging from extreme nervousness, nausea, vomiting and sleeplessness.

OCD is caused by a lack of serotonin and possible structural changes in the pre frontal cortex and basal ganglea of the brain. This is typically addressed with medications. Medications can reduce or eliminate your symptoms. Finding the right medication takes some trial and error. Getting your symptoms to a manageable level so you can get treatment to reduce or eliminate your OCD symptoms is vital. If you feel you cannot function, then any other treatment options won't help. Whenever medications are used for treatment, it is very common for people to need to try at least one or two different medications or more before finding one that helps. This is because everyone's body chemistry is different. So if one medication works for one person, it may not work for another or it might even cause adverse side effects. So don't be discouraged. You will find the right medication for you.

Therapy can also help you learn to control your impulses and behaviors. You indicated that you felt you had not been helped in your previous attempts at therapy. It sometimes takes a while to find a therapist that is trained to address OCD. You may want to try your search based on this diagnosis and see if you can find a therapist with more expereince and training in OCD.

Also, learning more about OCD through self help and education can help you find better ways to manage your symptoms. Here are some resources to get you started:

http://helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/distinguishing-ocd-from-other-conditions/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001926/

You may also want to consider support groups either in person or on line. They can help you feel less alone and provide you with much needed support.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate