MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

who become bipolar?what kind of upbringing make them bipolar?what

who become bipolar?what kind of upbringing make them bipolar?what did i do that made him bipolar?how can i make him take his medicine without interruptions?what can we do to keep his self esteem and confidence to be with people and keep his confidence to be w/ people.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your questions, bipolar disorder seems to be genetic. People who develop bipolar disorder are genetically at least somewhat likely to get it. It tends to run in families. Beyond that, we don't have all the answers about who ends up with it and who doesn't.

That said, upbringing has nothing to do with it, any more than upbringing causes someone to have a heart murmur.

It can be hard to get people with bipolar disorder to take their medications; there is almost never a simple fix for this, and I would be dishonest with you if I said that there was.

In my experience, the best way for patients with bipolar disorder to develop and maintain self-confidence and confidence around others is for them to behave in mature ways that they can feel good about, not by making self-esteem improvement the primary focus.

Does this answer your questions?