MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

iv been suffering from anxiety since i was 12 years old, im

iv been suffering from anxiety since i was 12 years old, im 19 and decided to do something about it now that im older i have researched it and recently went to the doctor, he perscribed me Klonopine. i will admit i have tried xanax, my question is why does klonopine make me drowsy and xanax does not
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

To answer your question, it has to do with the specific differences between Xanax and Klonopin and how they chemically work in the brain. They are similar medications, in the same chemical class, but that doesn't mean they are identical in every respect. Just like one pair of dress shoes may be more or less comfortable than another similar pair, they have their differences. It's really that simple. It is common for patients to find Klonopin more tiring than Xanax, too.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your information, i am aware they have different chemical effects on the brain, because the medication itself has differences in their makeup . i was just wondering possibly what are the exact chemical differences they posess , and what chemicals in the brain does klonopine effect, also what chemicals in the brain would xanax effect,

i am going to give my klonopine perscription the full month trial that he advised . would it count agianst me if i admitted to the doctor that iv also tried xanax and prefer the effects of xanax over klonopine effects, i was simply going to ask for a trial in xanax to see wich one would work better for me.

i have a job that requires allot of attention , i cant be feeling drowsy, therefore knowing xanax doesnt cause me to be drowsy i would assume it would be the better choice, Im just not sure if asking for a specific medication would go against me. im aware they both have addictive possibilities, im a very level headed person and im really just looking to get better, im trying ot better educate myself, so i know what to say when i got back in for my visit .

i sincerely XXXXX XXXXX advise.