MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I have taken ADHD self assessment tests online and every where

I have taken ADHD self assessment tests online and every where I get the result which tells me to go and consult a trained health professional.I am just worried that even if I ask someone for help,it will be because they think I am a slacker and want an excuse.I don't know how to come out of this circle.Could you advice me as to how I should manage my affairs ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
If you have ADHD, there is no way to legally obtain most of the medications used to treat ADHD without seeing a physician (preferably a psychiatrist), so it really is the best thing to do, and you can find out for certain if you really have it or not.

Psychiatrists see people with ADHD every day. It's not that big a deal to them, and we don't tend to think of people with ADHD as "slackers."

Does this make sense?