TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

why does anxiety fuel such depressing thoughts and how best

why does anxiety fuel such depressing thoughts and how best does one handle this.?
i find distraction helps but i always seem to go back to my worry until i feel it's resolved i think it needs the attention. i understand it's a vicious cycle of fear that needs to be broken and alot of it is irrational to most i talk to about it but to me it seems genuine and real threats. i have had a handful of episodes in my life and most of the time i am generally fine and not depressed. i am wired to be anxious though. i take zoloft for 10 years now
and recently stopped to see if weight gain could be helped. only to have a situation now
where i had to go back on because i got anxious again about something and couldn't handle it as well without my meds.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

What have you tried besides Zoloft?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing, i was given ativan once which i worried right through it, it made me sleepy for a short time and i didn't like the zombie feeling. i had went to counseling some in the past, i didn't feel i met the right therapist. i just have alot of inner turmoil and urgency to know what's wrong with me.

It's normal to feel the way you do when you have anxiety. Anxiety can make you feel depressed because it is such a vicious cycle. There seems to be no way to break it and feel normal. But there is. Anxiety and the related depression are one of the easier disorders to treat.

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline causes the symptoms you feel. It is much like after you have had a bad scare like a car accident. Your body releases the adrenaline and you feel unreal, your legs turn to jelly, you have trouble thinking and your body may feel it's tingling. You just don't notice it as much because your focus is on what is going on around you. Except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel.

The depression related to the anxiety is there as a result of the loop you are caught in. It can also be caused by other circumstances in your life.

Cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to be very effective in treating anxiety because anxiety is based on thought patterns. CBT helps you break those thought patterns so you can free yourself from the anxiety. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. The more you know, the better you are able to help yourself. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

You may also want to consider self help groups. Finding support through others who understand how you feel can alleviate your symptoms. Here are some links to help:

I hope this has helped you,