TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

What is psycosis? My grandad jumped off a bridge from it and

What is psycosis? My grandad jumped off a bridge from it and his daughter has crazy episodes that she is not even aware of, I am worried it is hereditory because sometimes I go a bit psycho and feel like I am not in my body.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Psychosis is used to describe someone who has lost touch with reality. When a person loses touch with reality they are said to be psychotic. This symptom is found in people who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, Bipolar I disorder, or certain personality disorders. It is a loose term that some therapists feel does not adequately describe a disorder but rather broad range of thought disorders.

A person who has psychosis can have hallucinations, delusions, and thought disorder. It is thought that psychosis is caused by mental illness, brain disorders such as tumors, dementia, or stroke.

It is thought that schizophrenia and Bipolar can be inherited. People who have parents or other relatives with these disorders have a slightly more increased chance of developing the disorder than in families without the diseases. Psychosis itself is not necessarily inherited.

Although your grandfather may have had psychotic symptoms, it is not clear what the cause of his symptoms were. It could have been a brain disorder or other cause not related to schizophrenia. And his daughter may also have something else wrong besides schizophrenia or Bipolar. If you feel you do have some symptoms, you may need to be evaluated by a trained therapist or psychiatrist that can help you pinpoint your symptoms better so you can get a definitive diagnosis. You can try asking your doctor for a referral or you can search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/ or http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like now - ive just had to come home from the pub because I just feel weird and numb, like I am dizzy but not as in I'm going to fall over. Just not with it, like I'm not here and not in control of myself. If I feel like this and get in a mood with someone, its hellish and I can get really aggressive?

Your symptoms sound like anxiety. People who have anxiety describe feeling numb and weird and experience dizzy sensations. Here is a link to help you learn more about anxiety and see if it matches what you are experiencing:

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

It is still a good idea if you get an evaluation by someone who is experienced and can sit down with you and go through all of your symptoms for you to pinpoint a diagnosis. It is hard to know how to treat your symptoms if it's not clear what your diagnosis is.

Kate