Dr. Michael
Dr. Michael, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
28397935

DR MICHAEL:I am writing about the previous issue we discussed.

DR MICHAEL:I am writing about the previous issue we discussed. I find myself wearing diapers more , continuing to live life and work. I find myself at work wearing pullups now(with some minor bladder issues). I am unsure how to discuss this issue with a regular Family Practice doctor, or if I should even talk about it.
Hello. I believe I can be of help to you with this issue.

This is an unusual preference or fetish you seem to be developing but it doesn't represent a medical or necessarily, a psychological problem. The main problem you do face is social embarrassment if it is ever discovered. You may find it helpful to talk to a clinical or counseling psychologist about this, to find out how this behavior is conditioned (learned) and maintained by cognitions, emotions and situational cues. In other words, there are some predictable elements or things that are supporting and maintaining the behavior. You should perhaps do this to simply find out more about yourself and why you are doing this, if you lack understanding or insight, and particularly if you are worried about this activity being discovered. It would be accurate to say that many people would judge you negatively for this activity. In the main, this doesn't represent a serious 'psychological' problem, unless it has become a primary emotional focus for your life or a primary or exclusive way of obtaining emotional or sexual satisfaction, in lieu of intimate relationships. What do you think?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr Michael,

I am not worried about social embarrassment, or being discovered. Sure mainstream people would declare it odd/or not normal, but what is normal? People color their hair all sorts of the rainbow, men carry pocketbooks, some wear no choice of undergarments at all. I continue to work (with a promotion since my last chat with you), and go about daily life. Emotionally, yeah I am happier wearing (and have been wearing more), and socially I have discussed it with people(friends, or someone I am interested in) and some have acccepted its just a part of me others sure, they are negative thoughts. The last part of this is small accidents have happened at work, so that is why I have started the underwear type and wear regular underwear over them, to help if I happen to have an accident (as I still use the facilities as normal).

What do you think? Is this something for a pyschologist to discuss and figure out?
It is something I'd talk to a psychologist about IF you are simply wanting to understand yourself better. Again, this may not be and probably is not a serious 'psychological problem'. As you discussed it in the last post, I would think that you actually do not need to feel socially embarrassed about this because if asked, you could say that you have a personal health problem that requires you to wear these; people would assume that you have an incontinence problem. Now, I think you wouldn't have written back in if you were not worried that there might be something wrong with you psychologically. So again, I don't think there likely is unless your motives took you away from other forms of emotional and sexual gratification. But I do think you might be interested in simply knowing or discovering more about yourself and your emotional/psychological motives for doing this---in its own right.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Let me know if I'm not reading the intent of your post correctly or have overlooked your question. Please click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the screen. Thanks.