Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

My daughter is 5 years old and still poops her pants. She does

Customer Question

My daughter is 5 years old and still poops her pants. She does know how to poop in the potty and has kept her pants clean for weeks at a time. Today she peed on the floor on purpose. I am her mother and I feel like she is doing this to me on purpose. What should I do or what is the problem?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.One is not able to, online, determine why she is doing this. That's why we child therapists do play therapy. Let me first say this. Clearly you are here because this is not normal for a 5 year old. We are both on the same page about that. Children don't sit down and tell us what they are upset about/ what is bothering them. They act out. They show destructive behaviour. Because children don't talk that's why we child therapists do play therapy with children. The child when in a therapist's office will engage in play and then the therapist can interpret what is going on. Only by bringing her to a child therapist will you be able to determine what is going on with her. There is no way to guess what is going on without knowing further details. I would be glad to help you find a child therapist in your area who would be able to diagnose why this is happening if you give me your city, state and zip code.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Hi, I see that you are offline.

Full Size Image
I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would
like to add to this chat.If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.

Customer:

Thank you. I guess i will get professional help.

Customer:

I guess I will look for professional help. we live in Lakeville, Mn

Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I agree with everything the above Expert posted to you, however physical contributors must be addressed as well. Chronic constipation and soiling go hand in hand, as do both of those and urinary leakage / sometimes urinary tract infection. Your child needs evaluation by her pediatrician for an anatomical contributor to her soiling and urinary issues. She needs a urinalysis and culture. She needs assessment and treatment for possible constipation.
It is clear that she is not constipated if she is soiling. Needless to say physical issues must be addressed. I, of course, am presuming that you have a paediatrician for her. However, I was paying attention to what you were stating and that is, that your instincts tell you that she is doing this on purpose. Are you able to give me your zip code so that I may find a child therapist for you in Lakeville, MN?
I will help you find someone.
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience: PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Shirley Schaye
Yes I have pediatrician and have been through the necessary testing for constipation and urinary infection. My zip code is 55044.
Great!!! I will look for someone for you. I will be right back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will this person be able to work with me also? This situation has me very frustrated and feeling like I am failing as a Mother. I am a stay at home Mom and have not been away from my daughter for more than a few hours at a time. I so feel like she does this to upset me. I also am pretty sure she does it on purpose since she will pull down her pants and just go potty some place.
Any child therapist works with BOTH the child and at least the mother if not both parents.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Dr. Leanne D Ravey

PsyD , LPC

Office

Lakeville Behavioral Health, LLC
10535 165th Street W
Lakeville, Minnesota 55044

Contact Information

phone: (952) 314-9000
fax: (952) 435-0095