Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

~I have a friend that I suspect has a delusional disorder.

I have a friend that I suspect has a delusional disorder. He is very intelligent and functional most of the time, but has episodes where he thinks people are following him or talking about him. I don't know how to help. I live in Scotland and am willing to try and get him help, but don't know how to locate a professional or start the process. Please help me.

I am not sure how the NHS works in Scoltand, and have not been able to find helpful information online.  I would be willing to pay for a psycharist, but again, I struggle to know which one to pick.  I would personally like to visit a physarist, to get insight on what I can do to help but not sure how to find one online.

I was dating this guys for a couple months until recently when he told me about this.  I know that I cannot continue the relationship, but I don't know how I can help him.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still waiting for an answer. It's been about 6 hours now.

Hi. Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly:-)

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.
I am sorry to hear about this issue with your friend.
The following link will take you directly to the Mental Health Services available throughout Scotland:
From there, I would go to NHS Choices where you can connect with someone who can provide specific recommendations for your area:
If you wish to seek private care, contact in Scotland, Contact:
I trust that this information and resources will get you pointed in the right direction.
I apologize for you having to wait for this information and wish you and your friend the very best.
Bill
PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME.
Thanks.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your answer. I think the links will be helpful. Is there any other advice you can provide me in how to approach this friend, what I can do that might help and what I should try not to do that might make things worse?

I have already realized that being in public places causes a lot of anxiety, so that is to be avoided. Anything else you would recommend?

Thanks.

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Hi- Helping someone that has a mental health problem and knowing what to say etc. can be difficult.

The following link provides helpful information on helping friend or loved one with a mental illness....in this case depression. The information, suggestions and tips can be applied to anyone with a mental health problem.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/living_depressed_person.htm

I would encourage your friend to seek assessment from a Mental health Professional to get a clear and concise diagnosis.

Best, Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience: 35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's