Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

~My dr has me on 900mg of lithium daily along with atenol and

My dr has me on 900mg of lithium daily along with atenol and paxil. i saw on drugs.com that that tese are not recommended to take together. i have been on these for about 2 years and i feel worse now than then. what do you think also my lithium levels have ranged from 0.2 to 3.8 yes 3.8
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

It is true. Atenolol and lithium should not be taken togethr becuase the lithium may increase the sereotin effect of the Paxil and rist getting serotonin syndrome, which is rare but can be fatal, or at least produe confusion, hallucinations, tachycardia, shivering, tremors, neuromuscular abnormalities, abdominal problems, and even coma.

Furthermore the Paxil may raise the level of lithium in the blood plamsa, but this affect is usually ascribed to another SSRI, Prozac.

If your lithium level is 3.8 then it is way above the normal range of 0.8 to 1.2 mEq/L.

You may consider getting a second opinion, i.e., seeing another physician, one who is a proper psychiatrist.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC