Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Hi Im a trainee counsellor who has applied for a placement

Customer Question

Hi I'm a trainee counsellor who has applied for a placement with an organisation that deals with rape and sexual abuse.I have just completed an assessment weekend with them and had to do a roleplay.My feedback was good, the counsellor said that they felt safe and comfortable with me, the questions i asked were good and that they felt I was with them the whole way through and that they felt they had made progress with me. I have just received an email of one of the counsellors there who said I made no connection with the client and showed no warmth or empathy.I am really confused now as I am questioning whether I have what it takes to be a counsellor and feeling pretty naff about the whole experience as i feel i've been given contradicting feedback, does what the counsellor who played the client not feel any empathy was shown then?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about this. Did you ask them about this curious difference of opinion? If you haven't you should --- very nicely I may add. You may say, I feel confused. Tell them exactly, exactly what you said here and I quote you but will add some."My feedback was good, the counsellor said that they felt safe and comfortable with me, the questions i asked were good and that they felt I was with them the whole way through and that they felt they had made progress with me." Now I got this e-mail from " one of the counsellors ... who said I made no connection with the client and showed no warmth or empathy." Can someone explain this as i feel i've been given contradicting feedback." I feel an explanation between these contradictory responses will help me understand better what is happening. I'd appreciate your input on this."

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would
like to add to this chat.If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I'm laughing because I see that we've obviously had a technological error and the same things have been repeated over and over again. I'm so sorry about that.