Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Could I try a all natural supplement called Lumiday while taking

Could I try a all natural supplement called Lumiday while taking Cymbalta 30mg, buspar 15mg, and Klonopin .375?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

Buspar and Cymbalta may both react negatively with St. John's Wort, one of the ingredients of Lumiday, by increasing the seretonin activity in unpredictable and possible dangerous ways.

Actually, the same effect could happen by taking Buspar with Cymbalta as well, so talk to your physician or pharmacist about this.

Both of the above combinations may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. Although this is a rare possibility is is a serious and potentially fatal condition.

In short, I urge you not to take this supplement, and to speak to your physician about the risks of using Buspar and Cymbalta together.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't been feeling the best since taking the buspar, klonipin, and cymbalta,but was just taking cymbalta and klonipin at one time and was better then. Do you have any advise about getting off of the buspar,because I tried lowering it and felt more anxious. Do you think I might need to take a little more klonipin to help get off of the buspar maybe?
Dear friend,

You may very well be experiencing seretonin syndrome, the symptoms of which could be an array of effects that are cognitive, autonomic, or somatic.

Specifically they could include: dilated pupils, shivering, sweating, intermittent twitching, raised blood pressure, or mentally - hypervigilance or agitation.

Buspirone can be tapered off of quickly, unlike most psychotropic drugs. However, talk to your pharmacisr or physician.

You may also lower symptoms by taking Omega-3, 900 mg twice daily, according to much anecdotal evidence. Once again always consult with your phsyician or pharmacist.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have noticed a little more anxiousnous, irritability, and I just feel kind of "blah", almost like I am just exsisting. Do you think that these are symptoms of seretonin syndrome. I also am wondering if this has anything to do with why I feel better in the evening and worse by morning. I take 30mg of cymbalta, .125 of klonipin,and 5mg buspar in the morning, .125klonipin midday, and .125 klonipin and 10mg buspar at bedtime. My thinking kind of seems foggy, or delayed sometimes also.

Dear friend,

It could very well be that reducing the buspar may help, but I suspect that the Klonopin, which is long-acting, is clouding your thoughts. If you feel foggy in the morning then it could be the night pill (unless you need it to be able to fall asleep). It you feel foggy during the afternoon and evening, it may be the Klonopin in the morning and in the afternoon. That is probably what is making you feel this way.

Talk to your doctor about decreasing your dose of Klonopin during the day. Don't do it without his knowledge and direction, because withdrawal from benzodiazepines such as Klonopin can give you very significant side effects. You might have to reduce slowly - probably should reduce slowly. Ask your pharmacist, as he/she should have those answers.

Best wishes,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.