DuddyH
DuddyH, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant

I am a shopaolic, I admit. Is that a mental illness and is

Customer Question

I am a shopaolic, I admit. Is that a mental illness and is it an OCD?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DuddyH replied 2 years ago.

DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments to better understand your question.

DuddyH :

For example, would you mind telling me more about why you say you are a shopaholic and how shopping is currently interfering with your life?

Customer :

My shopping is interfering with my life that I'm always fighting with my parents about my spending habits. I have my father in debt constantly. And I'm a shopolic because I'm always buying stuff on the Internet.

DuddyH :

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this right now. May ask if you are over 18 years old?

Customer :

I have been in therapy in the past.

DuddyH :

I just want to make sure that you are over 18 years old, and if you are, I'd really like to hear about the kind of therapy you have been in.

Customer :

I'm 37 year old female. I was once in therapy when I was 16 for depression/builimia/suicide attempt for year, that was talk therapy. I didn't like my therapist. I was in talk therapy when I was 19 for OCD and for adjusting to life from graduation high school. I ended that because I felt better. I like my therapist during that year. For the last ten years I was in talk therapy for depression, social anxiety disorder, and OCD. I love my therapist for those ten years. But since the governor of New Jersey where I live cut the mental health funding for the state, I had to end my therapy with my therapist.

DuddyH, BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
Expert:  DuddyH replied 2 years ago.
I just want you to know that I am still here and waiting for your response. to my last 2 questions. I noticed that you've already accepted my answer, but I'd like to make sure that you actually get an answer from me before completing your payment.
Expert:  DuddyH replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear that the funding was cut, especially when you had a positive relationship with your therapist. Thank you for answering my questions so far. You know, we are not permitted to do any kind of formal assessment on JustAnswer but I will do my best to answer your question. The term shopaholic is not a clinical or diagnostic term like OCD. The word shopaholic usually refers to someone who shops very often. People without any behavioral or psychological problems can jokingly refer to themselves as a shopaholic. On the other hand, people who's shopping behavior seriously interferes with the quality of their lives may have a mental illness. Now to take this answer yet a step further, a person who has life-interfering shopping behavior (i.e. over spending etc) may not necessarily have a mental illness. An OCD related to over-shopping would involve serious often unstoppable thoughts about shopping and serious uncontrollable shopping. You may have a good idea of what I mean by the kind of very obsessive thinking and serious life-interfering behavior I'm talking about from the therapy you mentioned for OCD. But here's a good basic recent overview of the formal diagnostic criteria for OCD. Again, this is only for informational purposes, it would be impossible and probably illegal for anyone to provide a dignosis online on an answer site like this. Here's the OCD link and I'll wait for your response: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1934139-overview
Expert:  DuddyH replied 2 years ago.
I'm just checking back to see if you've had a chance to review my last post.