Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, It is like I have all these worries and I come

ASK SUZANNE, It is like I have all these worries and I come down on myself so hard, that I make myself cry. I need to work towards emotional stability but it is hard.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

It does seem like you're very negative toward yourself right now. I'm sure you don't judge others as harshly as you're judging yourself right now. So it's time to start being nice to yourself...

Practice talking to yourself as if you were your own best friend who was going through a tough time. Tell yourself the comforting things that you would tell her...like that her hair actually looks great, that it's impressive that she has a great job in this recession and that she's able to earn enough to support her family, that she has a beautiful baby who loves her, and a husband who thinks she's an "11" on a 1 to 10 scale. Tell her that things won't always be this hard, and you know she has the internal strength to make it.

I hope you were able to order the workbook I advised yesterday--it would be really good to have it to help you through times like this, by changing your focus from critical and negative to more realistic expectations of yourself.