Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

My son is 11 years old and has shown the following tendencies/behaviour; -

My son is 11 years old and has shown the following tendencies/behaviour;
- Drawn more towards dolls ( Barbie, etc) since the age of 5
- Mingles more with Girls than boys, now
- Does not watch any cartoons like his age kids but prefers the likes of 'Fashion TV'
- prefers Romantic dramas to animated movies
- Recently tried to kiss, touch some elder girls, inappropriately
- Is not good at sports requiring hand-eye coordination. Motor skills are 1 on a scale of 1 to 10
- Has tried to show his private parts to kids his age
- Some basic hand actions are like a girls
- He is very independent and neat in his eating habits, personal Hygiene and room/closet arrangements
- All teachers complain he is distracted and disturbs others in class to get attention
- Is good in academics in small bursts and careless most of the time
- He is facing rejection by his peers and teachers!!

I know he needs help and I need suggestions!
HelloCustomer

His symptoms are somewhat suggestive of Gender Identity disorder although a detailed psychiatric evaluation is required before something can be said conclusively.

Gender identity is a psychological state that reflects a person's sense of being male or female and develops in most person by the age of 2 to 3 years.

Gender role is the external behavior pattern that reflects a person's inner sense of 'I am male' or 'I am female'.

Gender Identity disorderr involve the persistent desire to be, or the insistence that one is, of the other sex and discomfort with one's assigned sex and gender role.

Boys usually began to have the symptoms around the age of 4-5 years.

Kindly click the links below to find out more about this disorder.

What Are the Symptoms of Gender Identity Disorder?

Gender Identity disorder (explained in more detail)

I can understand that you are trying your best but this is not going to help much and he should be evaluated by a psychiatrist first. If indeed, he is suffering from Gender Identity disorder the treatment usually involves psychotherapy which is to be done by a psychiatrist / psychologist.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Dr.Vikas,

Thank you for your reply.

I expect there are many fields of Psychiatry / Psychology. Can you suggest the particular type of professional we need to seek out.

Since he is depressed a lot will the process of psychiatric evaluation, overwhelm the child and give rise to other side efffects.

In the meantime, what kind of daily inputs or environments can the child be exposed to? Do you think GID will phase out as he grows up?

Looking forward to your comments.

Best Regards,

You are most welcome.

All type of psychiatrists are well trained but if you are able to find a Child and adolescent psychiatrist go for him or her.

Don't worry about the psychiatric evaluation, it is always conducted in a friendly environment and simply consist of asking few questions and assessing the mental status of patient by observing behavior and asking few questions.

In my view, till now you have already tried your best so the best thing to do right now is to take him to a specialist as early as possible because early intervention usually carries a good prognosis. Just try to avoid forcing yourself on him and don't be critical about his behavior, he is not doing it intentionally.

It depends on the severity of symptoms but as I mentioned before, early intervention can be helpful in such cases.

Best wishes,

Vikas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Dr. Vikas,

Thank you once again.

We will proceed as suggested.
Since I expect to have more doubts as we go along, what would be best way to mail you as I am new to 'Just Answer'.
Is there an email ID that I could use to correspond or suggest the best way.

Best Regards,
Customer

Again you are most welcome.

Just put 'For Dr Vikas only' in front of your question and I will be the one to answer it for you.

Best wishes,

Vikas