Dr. Colby
Dr. Colby, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed psychologist in WA. Areas of practice are clinical psychology, forensic psychology and clinical neuropsychology.

Hi, I am in a relationship with a wonderful man and have being

Customer Question

Hi, I am in a relationship with a wonderful man and have being for two years. The only problem we have is me not being able to deal with him and his best mate. they do everything together and i feel like the third wheel, the last few months. I have tried to talk to him about this but he takes it wrong and now thinks that i dont like his mate, which is not true. Need boundrys and a few rules. not sure the best approach anymore. an example we went to a wedding last month and his mate called to see if he wanted to go fishing. I think it is very rude they cant see the problem. feel very unhappy at the moment. i dont want to loose him. every one tells me to fight for him. he has had people control him all his life and i dont want to do that.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Colby replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Colby :

Hi, this is Dr. Colby.

When you've talked to your sweetie, could you tell me more about (a) what sorts of things you said to do so and (b) what sorts of things he said in return? Expressing feelings and desires is not control; demanding, that is something else.

Let's process it a little before I try to answer with definite suggestions.

Dr. Colby :

Are you still there and interested in getting some help with your issue?