Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

I have been diagnosed with bpd and I dont know what to do.

I have been diagnosed with bpd and I dont know what to do. They put me in saphris and it made me feel terrible so I stopped taking it. Since I stopped I noticed I have become scared alot at night which is odd for me. What do I need to do for treatment? Im 20 and on the verge if divorce and terrified to have kids because of this disorder its,ruining my life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
I can imagine how sad, anxious and worried you must have felt about this situation.
It sounds like you suffer from symptoms of BPD, anxiety and depression.

Borderline Personality disorder is emotional regulation problems.
You may need ongoing treatment - individual and group therapy and/or medication in inpatient or outpatient settings.
You may benefit from Dialectical-Behavior therapy (DBT) or Psychodynamic therapy.

I hope you get well with help and support from your doctor, a psychologist and family.

Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it something that is going to be a life long struggle or is be cured.or put into remission?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
If you stick to treatment, especially individual psychotherapty (Dialectical-Behavior therapy or Psychodynamic therapy) weekly for 6 months or longer, you will get well and learn to manage your emotions.
Yes, you can recover from it.Please make sure to work with a psychologist specializing in DBT.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,