Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  25 years in private practice
16903060

Hi there I have major depressive disorder and am currently in a 2nd bout of what seems to

Customer Question

Hi there I have major depressive disorder and am currently in a 2nd bout of what seems to be untreatable depression. My question is two fold 1. How long does the average bout usually last? and also how can you tell when you are making a reasonable assessment of a situation in your life or when the depression has clouded your judgement? I feel I do not have a lot of support from my family and that this seems to give them a free reign to use me or my illness as a detraction from their actions and behaviors. However, due to the depression and my low-self esteem I often do question am I valid or have I misread a situation due to the depression?
Please answer I am not eating or sleeping anymore. I see my Dr. on Friday, I only hope I can silence the endless conversations in my end by then, get a nights sleep and still have a Mom and sister by then :( Thanks, Amanda
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 5 years ago.

Dr.Kappler :

Thank you for coosing JustAnswer!

Dr.Kappler :

To answer the first part of your first question, of how long does a usual bout of depression last? According to scientific studies the length of the depression is actually dependent on whether they got treatment. People who refuse treatment tend to stay depressed the longest. Those who just take an anti-depressant find themselves less depressed sooner. The group with the shortest bout of depression incorporated both weekly therapy and medication.

Dr.Kappler :

The second part of your first question had to do with how do you know when your depression has distorted your judgement, particularly when you are making a reasonable assessment of a situation in your life, presumably an important decision? The rule I use is simple. People who are depressed are very conservative and pessimistic in their judgements. They tend to blame themselves because one model of depression is anger turned inward. So if you find yourself only viewing this situation in terms of its negative side. You know that you are able to assess the problem fully when there is an optimistic side to the possible conclusions.

Dr.Kappler :

Next you pointed out that your family is not supporting your own decisions because they claim you are depressed. If I was you I would counter their accusations by saying that you are not being pessimistic in your conclusions. Or you could take them seriously and not rely on their support until you have convinced them you are over your depression and thinking clearly. Or you could go on with your assessment of the situation without their support. Your last option is to agree with your support system, get some help and stick it out till they notice. Often it is your support system who first notice when an anti-depressant is first working.

Dr.Kappler :

Your questioning of your abilities is a result of depression but more likely a result of low self esteem. Low self esteem differs from depression in that it is not a feeling but a value judgement you impose on yourself. It can be corrected using positive motivation and imagery. It is a simple technique you use while you are going to sleep and when ever you find yourself in thought loops of negative self esteem. I can explain it further if you would like but it entails thinking of your accomplishments and things you can accomplish. This sets the tone of your day as well as promoting positive dreams.

Dr.Kappler :

I see that you are currently off-line. I have responded to your request as best as I can. If you have more to add about the situation feel free to do so. If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the accept button. Experts are paid only for each accepted answer they provide.

Dr.Kappler :

I need to inform you of the situation as it stands so you can decide what to do. You have made the effort to ask and receive a response to your question. That item has been timed out because you have accepted the repose but not clicked the acceptance button. As a result you have my hard work and

JACUSTOMER-dyml07xy- : Sorry about that, I thank you for your answer. My life has been a tumultuous turmoil over the past few days, so I had not gotten back to the computer. I appreciate you advice and I like the way it has been broken down so that it is nice and concise. I have never heard of positive imagery I will most certainly look this up online especially since I often have very terrible and negative thoughts that run through my head. As I mentioned I do go to my Dr tomorrow and I should prob get back into therapy again then you think? Individual, a support group or a group therapy? As I mentioned I've done these in the past but just re-try perphaps?
Dr.Kappler :

I would recommend individual therapy with a therapist skilled in treating depression.

It is my goal to help and exceed your expectations. If you need to discuss more or need clarification please just respond here and I will be notified. However, if you are satisfied with my efforts, please don't forget to click on the green accept button because I need to get credit for my work.

Dr.Kappler :

I will be online for another hour and then return in the late afternoon till midnight. I am interested in your reaction to my interpretation. If you are satisfied please remember that I don't get paid unless you click the accept button.

Dr.Kappler :

I need to inform you of the situation as it stands so you can decide what to do. You have made the effort to ask and receive a response to your question. That item has been timed out because you have accepted the repose but not clicked the acceptance button. As a result you have my hard work and compassion and I have no payment. If there is anything else I can do as an expert let me know or address it in a separate response addressed to me and I will gladly answer it.