Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

Im 72 years old and in the past ten years gainned some weight.

I'm 72 years old and in the past ten years gainned some weight. I have been on diets and have had the determination to stay with them in the past. Have a problem staying with a diet now. Go part way and get tired of iit and then say "screw it" and go off. I have a belly that I hate and really would like to be slimmer. I'm trying hynosis on CD's right now, but hypnosis has never worked for me. But I'm giving this program a try. So far I'm not impressed. What the hell do I need to do with myself?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. I'd like to share with you my impression: you're clearly a man who is used to being in control of yourself. You're used to being able to direct yourself, meaning to give yourself direction(s) and to follow your lead.

And now you're not so in control. And so you're thinking you need to get your head straight, which means to regain control. I am not against this. And you might wind up going into therapy. I'm a psychologist, after all.

However, I'd like to suggest something for you to do first. On your own, so to speak. Which is funny because it is the support from other people that I'm thinking of.

I'd like you to try Weigh Watchers. Please know: I do not work for WW, our site is not affiliated with it, I get no commission (too bad). The weekly meetings is a way to not be so focused on you being so alone in this. They also have a web site I want you to get involved in during this experiment. They have a men's section on the site. It's a healthy diet program for life. I've seen the nutritional basis for it and it's sound. But it's really the support I'm looking for. So if the first meeting you try isn't lively or the leader isn't good, keep trying different meetings until you find one or two a week you want to make your own.

And then join a gym or community recreation center and take classes. Either for seniors or not. But again, make it a social experience. Make the exercising a part of your social life. Choose a gym based on how many people go there that look interesting to you to work out with and have as exercise friends or even to go for coffee after. Same with classes.

The idea here is to make your weight loss part of your life, not part of controlling yourself, part of following orders. Make it a part of your enjoyment of life. So give that a try first and even if it succeeds, consider the therapy part to explore what's in your head that you haven't explored yet.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. You are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Been to WWatchers before. Not sure this is going to help me much. I was expecting more of a personal regrime to work with. Damn it all.................
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean like Nutrisystems? Because if you mean a book or some promoted diet, you appear to be familiar with them.

I was aiming toward the support and making your eating part of your life, your social life, rather than a discipline.

Dr. Mark