Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.

ASK SUZANNE, I Guess I look at how successful they are and

ASK SUZANNE, I Guess I look at how successful they are and become jealous. I feel less than. Money can't be the only thing that makes a couple valuable. Being the odd one out with the inlaws doesn't help me to feel valuable. What do you think a person should get their value from? Maybe this will help me feel better. Thanks, Jen
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

It's funny, but I personally wouldn't call not being able to pay the mortgage and have health insurance for my kids "successful."

A person's value depends on what they contribute to the world--not what they acquire. For instance, an extreme example would be Mother Teresa. She owned nothing, but did wonderful things for others, and she'll always be remembered for that. She is what I would call a success at living a meaningful life.

Get your value from your work ethic, the love you give to your child to help him grow up with good self-esteem, and the love you share with your husband. No matter how the economy goes, no one can take that love away from you....which shows it has real value. Houses come and go...the things of value, that make us who we are, last.