TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

hi Kate, I have seen my GP today who says that he does not

hi Kate, I have seen my GP today who says that he does not think I am strong enough to have extensive Psychotherapy at present. He is treating me for depression by medication and trying to get my BP right. He has agreed that once ok I can move into Psychotherapy. I have had 5 major trauma's in my life. 3 of them air crashes or close encounters, and two massive court cases all which I won. I believe I have ADD and to create excitement been involved with transvestism and gambling. I have a viscous . Meaning quite a bit of therapy. How can I assess the likely number of sessions needed, i.e. under 10, 20 50 or more.temper

Hello, and thank you for requesting my help.

What is the reason your doctor feels you are not ready for therapy? Did he tell you what he fears will happen if you try? I have not heard of someone who was held back from therapy before for a medical reason. Therapy is usually very helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kate, I think my BP being over 200 over 95 is why he is holding back. My BP now shows 150 over 65. I think I was excessively excited at the possibility of therapy referral or admittence to Mental Hospital which had excited me too much. I think I ought to qualify that. Having hated and dreaded Mental Hospitals over the years, now I have a Mental Illness I accept the Hospitals now as OK.

That is an interesting reason to hold you back from therapy. It is just as easily to become overly excited about other things in life too. But if your doctor felt your excitement about therapy was too much for you, then following his advice should be what you do.

It sounds like to me that you might have PTSD- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Having that many traumas in your life has to have affected you. And even if you are coping pretty well now, you may still have symptoms you need to deal with.

How many sessions you have depends very much on you as a person, your symptoms (how many you have, what your diagnosis is, and how you have been affected by them) and the skill of your therapist. It also depends on how much motivation you have to feel better. Therapy varies from person to person so assigning a set number of sessions is hard to do. I know that is a popular thing these days with insurance companies and government run mental health because of costs, but it does not address what the person needs as an individual. But because of your past traumas, I would imagine that many sessions would be needed to work through how you feel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kate, thank you for your response. My reasoning, as I have so much baggage though I am very willing, was whether I would be best served being an in patient to get it done quickly or as an out patient which clearly would take longer. As I am self funding and may decide on in patient therapy I just wondered whether I am talking days, weeks or months? Thank you

You're welcome! I am glad to help.

Inpatient therapy might be more intensive but it depends on the program you would be in. If it is group, you are in with people who have other issues besides what you are dealing with, so you can share feelings but the focus will be spread out among all participants. This may make therapy take longer and your issues would not be focused on.

If you have individual therapy, it may take longer but the focus is all on you. Your issues get a lot of attention, which may make your therapy go better.

In my opinion, with the issues you have described, it is probably better you have individual therapy. It will focus on what you need and you will not need to share with others. It may take a bit longer, but it will give you better results. Several months to a year is not uncommon with trauma related issues.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kate, thank you so much for your help yesterday. You have given me so much to think about. I will now be able to prepare myself for it. You say that it could take several months to a year to sort me out. Would I be wise in say, going inpatient for 4 moths (to learn the rules and protocol) as well as to get a flying start. Maybe 4 months as a Day patient and then finish up with what ever was needed as an outpatient. One thing bothers me though is that I believe I can say no! to any treatment. At this moment I think that is stupid. For me to say to the Psychiatrist he/she No! when they are the one with the knowledge and trying to make me better. Is there anyway I can be in a position where I have to do as I am told. I would much prefer that.Regards David

You're welcome, David! I am glad I could help.

You don't necessarily have to do what the doctor says. Making your case for having inpatient and then individual therapy may help change the doctor's mind. If you are self pay, you should be able to do pretty much what you wish to do since you are not regulated by any outside agencies.

What is most important is what you feel you need. You have a history of a lot of trauma and you may have PTSD and other symptoms that need long term attention. Advocating for yourself is important. The doctor does not know how you feel. Only you do. And it is also important that you promote your symptoms. The doctor only knows what you tell him/her. So letting them know you feel your symptoms are severe and need inpatient and outpatient attention helps your case.