David Akiva
David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience:  Counselor; Behavioral Consultant
57833540

Is Anger Management a feature of Depression? My partner has

Is Anger Management a feature of Depression?
My partner has been treated for depression for years but is in complete denial as to the extent of it. She regards XXXXX XXXXX something to be ashamed of.
She has improved from where she was but if she experiences stress of any kind, stress rapidly becomes anger. Her emotional range is extremely stunted. For years we have zero intimacy & I am not allowed to talk about it. She cannot cope with our 6 year old crying & can only shout at him whilst allegedly counselling him. There is no speaking calmly to him to defuse the situation. In essence, she throws more tantrums than our little boy. I have spoken to her doctors but they cite doctor/patient confidentiality. They promise to make a note however, nothing happens.
Yet here I am, recognising I am suffering the onset of depression as I am in a hopeless position with no way forward. She will not consider relationship counselling .
This problem seriously impacts on the family dynamics but any approach on this subject means more tantrums & sulks and this is not fair on any of us, not least our boy.
My question is this. Am I at least recognising this correctly?. Depression is centred on emotional well being. Her emotional thermostat clearly does not work. Is it fair to recognise this as fall out from depression or is it just an individualistic personality trait?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  David Akiva replied 2 years ago.

DuddyH :

Welcome, I'm a professional counselor and behavioral-consultant. I'd like to chat with you for a few moments to better understand your question.

DuddyH :

Well, you show as "Standing By" in the chat window but you have not yet entered chat to respond. You must be busy with another task. No problem. I'll check back shortly for your response.

Customer:

Here now

DuddyH :

Hi thank you for waiting. I was just answering another question. I really appreciate your time here.....

DuddyH :

In my experience screening hundreds of private practice clients for clinical depression and providing behavioral and cognitive behavioral counseling to several depressed clients I have to say, no, anger-management is not typically a targeted clinical intervention.

DuddyH :

For some reason your chat status shows as "initializing" and not "in chat"..

DuddyH :

are you still there?

Customer:

Anger management was a headline grabber for those who needed an opening sentence. I would like to capture if stress straight to anger is not an usual feature of depression. My suspicion is her inabilty to tackle issues effectively is directly related to depression & if so, shouldn't her doctors recognise this as part of the problem.

DuddyH :

oh there you are....let me read and respond...

DuddyH :

Having not researched that particular question I cannot give you a clinically reliable answer or objective capture. I am a behaviorally oriented counselor, so I've work with each individual client based on their own unique clinical-behavioral presentation and take clinical direction from licensed psychologists or psychiatrists depending on the case complexity.

Customer:

OK. My presumption is her lack of emotional control is either a trigger in some way or a consequence of depression. Many thanks for your time anyway. Apparently I can't accept your answer but in essence I still have no way forward. The action has to be with my partner.

DuddyH :

I noticed you attempted to accept and pay for my answer, was that your intention? Many customers have accidentally paid for answers so I am careful not to disable the "Accept Button" for payment until I know the customer has truly decided to accept and pay for my answer or until I have provided what I think is a worthy answer.

Customer:

I am grateful that you have answered as best you can. It is diffulcult dealing on a third party basis. I think you have answered in that anger does not seem to be a regular issue from depression. My assumption remains the same though. Do I accept your answer in good faith.

DuddyH :

There are many potential causal and contributing mechanisms to diminished emotional self control. Are you looking for a general or a case specific answer?

DuddyH :

...and no, you should never pay for a justanswer.com answer unless you are completely satisfied with it.

Customer:

General was fine. I was trying to ascertain if it is "normal" for people to have diffulculty contolling emotions ie quick to temper tantrums if they suffer depression.

DuddyH :

Would you like me to recirculate your question so that a say a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist can answer your question?

Customer:

No. I think my own prognosis works. Even a definive answer still doesn't resolve my problem. I am prepared to accept your answer as this is not a normal feature but will treat it, an associated one.

DuddyH :

I'm not sure what you mean in your last sentence, but I will enable the green "accept button" should you chose to pay for this exchange.

Customer:

Thankyou. Victim of rushed typing. I mean that outbursts of temper tantrums due to emotional instability is not a normal feature of depression. But, my presumtpion is that it is just an extre benefit that I and my boy are enjoying due her issues. Just because it is unusual, doesn't mean it is not associated. Thank you for your time.

David Akiva, BA, MA,
Experience: Counselor; Behavioral Consultant