How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5802
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A 75 year old man, diagnosed with depression. He claims he

This answer was rated:

A 75 year old man, diagnosed with depression. He claims he has no suicidal tendancies. He has a viscous temper which he acknowledges caused his depression and a heart attack. He admits to punching a door, kicking the wall and even head butting a window at the height of a rage. Is he likely to be in trouble re hospitalisation? He is seeking Psychotherapy.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.


Someone who has a history of anger issues and depression can be treated successfully on an outpatient basis. He would need to be motivated to get help and be willing to look at this issues that cause his anger and depression so the therapy can be effective.


The only reason a person with the symptoms of anger and depression would need to be hospitalized if they are a danger to themselves or someone else. The person has to say they want to hurt someone or themselves and have a plan on how they would accomplish this before they would need to be hospitalized. The person can also go into the hospital on a 201, which is a voluntary admission to the hospital. The doctor would still need to approve the admission, but if the patient is having trouble functioning in daily life and/ or needs a medication adjustment in order to function better, then admission can be warranted.


I hope this helps you,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kate. Thank you for your answer. It is a pity. In England depression is dealt with by Gp's I would have appreciated becoming an inpatient in order to access the therapy quicker. Apart from the depression and anger issues, I believe that ADD , transvestism and gambling are also problems. At the age of 4 a mental health school visitor wanted me to go to a special school (yet I was the brightest in the school) at 19 years of age my then GP sent me for Psychiatric examination and they suggested inpatient behavioural therapy which was refused. Does that knowledge change your judgement. Thank You

There is no harm in trying to see if your doctor will admit you. If you feel you are unable to cope with your life at this point and need the intensity of inpatient treatment as well as quicker access to outpatient treatment, you can express this to your doctor. They are going to admit you on your current mental health status only and not so much on your past history, so if you feel bad right now it's worth trying to get admitted. The more you can tell them about how your status is negatively impacting your daily life, the better.


I understand the system in the UK is slower and sometimes it takes forever to get an appointment which makes it so stressful when you want help to recover. Hopefully, you have already gotten the ball rolling and are on the list for an appointment. If not, you may want to do that as soon as you can.


You can also try alternative treatments such as on line therapy, self help, and support groups. They may offer some relief until you can get into therapy.



TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions