Suzanne
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
32195369

ASK SUZANNE, I havent seen or heard from my sister-in-laws

ASK SUZANNE, I haven't seen or heard from my sister-in-laws since November 2011. (We typically saw each other almost every weekend for family parties and such.) Due to the mean email from Judy and other things they have done, I didn't go over Christmas Eve or last night when invited over for dinner. Christmas Eve my husband and my son went while I stayed home. i just can't believe how cold and mean they are being to me. just shocked. this kind of thing just bothers me. any advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.

Okay, Jen. Hopefully we've been working together long enough that you can handle a little "tough love."

(And I'm taking it that you were invited to go to dinner, but decided to stay home--let me know if that's not the case.)

Since they have invited you, but you've turned down their invitations, you're helping to keep the bad feelings alive. If you want to re-establish contact with the rest of the family, you're going to have to interact with them again. It will be really hard, and you'll probably have to "fake it 'till you make it" to be friendly with them again.

Start slow with short exposures to them..just an hour or two at a time. That way, when bigger occasions come up, it won't feel so weird being around them.