Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

My daughter has developed some odd ritualistic behavior, especially

My daughter has developed some odd ritualistic behavior, especially in the a.m. She gets up has to immediately wash her hands. the water goes on and off 4 x's, then the closet door is opened and closed 4 x's, she refuses to wear anything but 2 particular pairs of underwear, getting dressed in regular clothing is a nightmare, no zippers, buttons, leggings, everything has to have "no seams" gym day is awful, she hates her sneakers because of the tongue. We have done the lab work and waiting for MD to call with a plan, but its to the point we are missing school and work, and life in general can be hell.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Before providing suggestions, I have a few questions. First, how old is your daughter? When did these behaviors first start? What was happening in her life during this time? What type of lab work was ordered?

Brad :

I'm having some technical difficulties. Please reply back even if I do not appear to be online. I will be here for a few hours.

Customer:

This has been on going since she was born, she was dx @ 3 with stereotypii, we were told she'd outgrow it, she is now 7, a TSH profile was ordered, the last few mnths have been the worst, there was an issue @ school w/ a bully,( this girl acts out to every kid not just mine)

Customer:

She used to have this " TIC" where, she appeared to be almost snapping hers fingers while flapping her hands her head would twitch and she would have odd facial expressions, almost like a seizure but not, for some reason this behavior is less prevelant and this new behavior is more dominant. If anything goes out of the normal routine she has a meltdown. Everything has to be in her particular order. Her MD doesn't want to label it as OCD, but is uncertain as to who we be referred to. They were supposed to be doing some research and contacting us with a follow- up

Brad :

Has she ever been tested by a psychologist?

Customer:

No, a neurologist

Brad :

How is she socially? Does have friends?

Customer:

Yes and no

Brad :

Does she make eye contact?

Customer:

yes

Brad :

She can be social?

Brad :

Is that correct?

Customer:

yes

Brad :

any cognitive issues?

Customer:

on occassion

Brad :

such as?

Customer:

she is very intelligent but can be very withdrawn

Brad :

she does well academically?

Customer:

yes

Brad :

Have you considered having her tested at a pediatric development center?

Brad :

by a psychologist?

Customer:

I ll do anything at this point

Brad :

I apologize for the technical difficulties on my end.

Customer:

its ok

Customer:

I'd prefer not to medicate unless absolutey necessary

Customer:

and until we have a definite answer

Customer:

I'd been looking thru the Sensory Perception Disorder, and she does present with some of those symptoms, but she also has moments of despair , with major anger issues. She also will not listen to her father or myself. She is very defiant, stubborn. When disciplining comes into play she goes into a rage, again noe of this behavior is present at school, but I know she is having problems respecting others. Hope more of this info helps

Customer:

are you on line

I apologize to switch to the Q&A mode. I'm having internet difficulties. Please continue to reply and we can go back-and-forth. My recommendation at this point is for your daughter to receive a full psychological evaluation from a pediatric development center. I can research one in your area if you feel comfortable sharing what city and state you are writing from.

Thank you for the information. Yes, I agree on holding off of the medications until you have a definite diagnosis. Have you considered using a behavioral plan with your daughter?
There is a technical glitch where you are in the chat format and I am in the Q&A format. Please out on the chat and return to this forum as you will see my responses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So now we are on the same page

Yes, we are. If you are interested in receiving a referral to a pediatric development center, please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes thank you, XXXXX XXXXX about 20 min from Boston, Ma

Boston Medical Center's Department of Pediatrics-developmental and behavior pediatrics may be a good fit your daughter.

telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
http://www.bmc.org/pediatrics-developmentalbehavioral.htm