TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

What would be the best anti-anxiety medication to take for

What would be the best anti-anxiety medication to take for PTSD, also I'm currently seeing a psychologist and a DR. I had a Dr. appointment today, and my Dr. would like me to come in for a teleconference with their psychiatrist, they have tried colonzepam that has not helped, I'm also on Celexa 60 mg. can you tell me why the appointment with the psychologist, I'm also asked to fill out paper work, is this normal, would like Kate McCoy to answer if she is available
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Moderator for Just Answer. I sent an Email to Kate to let her know of your question so that when she comes on line she will see it. Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if I can help further:-)
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for requesting my help.

Medication is very helpful if your anxiety is interfering with your ability to function in daily life. Getting your symptoms to a manageable level so you can get treatment to reduce or eliminate your anxiety is vital. If you feel you cannot function, then any other treatment options won't help.

Whenever medications are used for treatment, it is very common for people to need to try at least one or two different medications or more before finding one that helps. This is because everyone's body chemistry is different. So if one medication works for one person, it may not work for another or it might even cause adverse side effects. So don't be discouraged. You will find the right medication for you.

Here are some of the more common medications for anxiety:

Xanax (alprazolam)
Klonopin (clonazepam)
Valium (diazepam)
Ativan (lorazepam)

These medications are known as tranquilizers. They help to slow down your system and help produce a calming effect.They are also fast acting. As a result, they are very popular and often the first line of medications tried for someone with anxiety disorder. But they do have unwanted side effects such as slowing down reflexes and thinking ability, making a person feel foggy or even drunk. This can impair a person's ability to function in such situations as driving.

Anti depressants can also be used for anxiety disorders. They include Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, and Celexa, the one you are taking now. These work by regulating serotonin levels in the brain to elevate mood. They can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to establish full effect in the blood. Side effects include nausea, sleepiness and weight gain. Withdrawal is also an issue, requiring a doctor's supervision.

Another possible mediation is Buspar. It also works to increase serotonin in the brain like anti depressants do. It takes up to 2 weeks to work. But it has less of a sedating effect than other mediations. It also has low risk of dependence.

Once you establish a mediation that works, therapy and self help is essential in overcoming anxiety. Individual outpatient therapy, support groups, learning about anxiety and self help all can help you recover. If you would like recommendations, I would be happy to help.

Every psychologist is different in how they conduct their practice. Some want basic information about you and others are fine seeing you without it. The psychologist you are seeing apparently wants information. You are always free to ask what the information is for and how it is kept private. The psychologist is bound by ethics to keep everything about you and your visits private, but it does not hurt to ask so you feel better about what is going on.

I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.