JaRee1993, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed to diagnosis and treat mental and emotional health issues of adults, adolescents and children and pastoral counseling.

I have severe anxiety and paranoia before and during menstruation.

I have severe anxiety and paranoia before and during menstruation. I really can't cope with it another month and fear for my mental health. What can I do ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JaRee1993 replied 4 years ago.

JaRee1993 :

Hi, thank you for contacting Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a mental health counselor. Could you give me some more information so that I can better assist you please? Have you talked with your doctor about these symptoms and if so what does he tell you? How long have you been having the symptoms? What were you on lexapro for?

I am planning on contacting a doctor on Monday because last week was a very bad week for me emotionally as a result of this situation. Every 4 months or so my problems with paranoia and anxiety are severe as a result of my period. I was on Lexapro for social anxiety. I stopped taking it and have done well managing my anxiety in social situations. The question becomes should I take medication because my pms is so severe ? I'm struggling and don't want to face another week like this past week

JaRee1993 :

It sounds to me as though you do need to be evaluated for the right medication for this problem. I can hear your frustration and your fear. By all means call your doctor and talk openly with him about what is going on. Do you have any anxiety when you are not having your period?

I have a little anxiety when I'm not on my period but I am able to snap out of it and talk myself down. It is the paranoia that really kills me and makes me questions what I'm made of and my sanity. I don't like medication and I'm hesitant but I think it is necessary. Can a primary care physician prescribe something ? A gynecologist ? or do I have to go to a Psychologist ?

JaRee1993 :

Since it has to do with PMS I think that either a primary care physician or gynecologist can prescribe for you. However, it would probably be better to talk with a psychiatrist because they are trained in dealing best with anxiety and paranoia and know more of the proper medications to prescribe and how to monitor the dosage and side affects.. Please do not hesitate to make an appointment with someone soon. I would start with your primary physician first and ask him if he can refer you to a good psychiatrist. Whatever you do please do not put off getting the help you need as soon as possible.

Please let me know if I can assist you further in this. If this answer has helped you then please press the Accept button at the bottom of the page so that I can be paid by Just Answer. Also, please fill out the feedback form so that I can know how to better serve our customers. Again, thank you for contacting Just Answer.