MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I was taking 100mg of Pristiq and 45mg of Remeron for about a year and recently tapered do

I was taking 100mg of Pristiq and 45mg of Remeron for about a year and recently tapered down the Pristiq (50mg for ten days, then 25mg for ten days) and stopped taking the Remeron as well. My last dose of both meds was 10 days ago and I am still experiencing a lot of discontinuation symptoms from going off the Pristiq. I am completely sweating through my clothes 3-4 times a day and have nausea and diarrhea. Can I expect things to get better any time soon? I have had lab/bloodwork done and am otherwise deemed to be healthy.

Pamela Sheely
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

Since you went off of the medications this quickly, it might take you a month or so to start feeling better (I mean a month from now). It's generally not good to stop two antidepressants at the same time; that's complicating this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was my current Psychiatrist that recommended stopping both as we were going to try an MAOI after the other meds cleared my system. I have an appointment to see him next week. Other than the sweating, etc. I actually have been feeling better than I ever have in terms of mood - most likely because of the regular exercise - and I was wondering if I will even need to go on the MAOI at all. But it sounds like I may need some kind of meds to manage these symptoms... I don't think I can handle living in sweat for a month...
It may benefit you to resume a small dose of the Pristiq, such as 25mg daily for a few more weeks.