MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. My daughter has Bipolar disorder. No seizure disorder. Her doctor has her taking 500 to 600 mg of Lamictal. I myself am Bipolar and I only take 200 mg. Everywhere I look the max dose for Bipolar disorder shows to be 200 mg. I am concerned about this. My daughter still has the mood swings and depression but seem to be more often now. I take her to the doctor and she just ups the prescription. My daughter took 600 mg today and is dizzy and her blood pressure is 134/85 w/ 98 pulse. She is 18 years old. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
I would advise your getting a second opinion. While psychiatrists will, at times use more than 200mg of Lamictal daily for treating bipolar disorder, 600mg is an awful lot of it and especially since she is only 18 years old. The one thing that would change this is if your daughter is taking a birth control pill, as they will increase the clearance of Lamictal from the body greatly, and often this means the dose needs to be up to twice as high as without the birth control pill. That said, 600mg is a high dose, period, and if it were my daughter, I'd get a second opinion.