TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm from Saudi Arabia, I'm 18 years old.

Two years ago.. I was in Hong Kong with my family, and I suddenly started experiencing some awkward worrying/panic-ing problems, I had absolutely no clue about what it was. the problem kept occurring and I didn't know what was going on, five days later we went back home to Saudi Arabia. I had problems with breathing and was often feeling very anxious. I went to a physicologist and he diagnosed me with an Anxiety Disorder. I kept on struggling with anxiety and learning some cooping exercises. A couple of months later I was perfectly fine, physically wise not mentally, I still had those anxious thoughts telling me that I might harm myself or what-so-ever but I knew they were just thoughts and they didn't bother me a lot.. Two years later (Now) The family decided that we're going to Hong Kong again, I didn't accept the thought and didn't want to travel but they said that it is a must and they forced me to, so we went back to the exact same Hotel and all of a sudden I started feeling pain in my head and feeling like what is happening is not real, I sometimes feel normal and suddenly get a weird mood swipe.. What scares me the most is that I feel like i'm not going to reach back home for some reason, this feeling is scaring me too much!!! I don't know what to do.. It's very hard & complicated!! I feel like I need help otherwise something is going to happen to me, my head is paining so bad!! :(
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

What you are experiencing sounds like anxiety so you were diagnosed correctly by your doctor. The symptoms you are describing with not feeling real, feeling scared and mood changes can all be attributed to anxiety.

It sounds like you might have anxiety/ panic disorder. People with panic disorder often describe themselves as constantly anxious or always feeling panicky. That is because when you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline causes the symptoms you feel, including the panic. It is much like after you have had a bad scare like a car accident. Your body releases the adrenaline and you feel unreal, your legs turn to jelly, you have trouble thinking and your body may feel it's tingling. You just don't notice it as much because your focus is on what is going on around you. Except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel.

It may not feel like it, but the panic and anxiety does subside. The adrenaline in your system does deplete and needs time to replenish. Going back to the same hotel as before when you had your first attack probably triggered your anxious feelings. Feeling like you will not get home again is normal for someone with anxiety. There is a sense of doom and gloom that comes with feeling anxious, because anxiety tends to be about the unknown.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When panic or anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the panic reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety and how to control your panic. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

You can find these books on or your local library may have them for you.

Also, remember to try to relax. The more you allow these feelings to pass over you, the less intense they will be. Here is a guide to help you:

I hope this has helped you,