MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

I had my first panic attack after smoking marijuana in college.

I had my first panic attack after smoking marijuana in college. i continued to have occasional panic attacks for the next three years but did not tell anyone . i thought they were flashbacks. Do others keep their attacks a secret ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
Although some people who smoke marijuana have panic attacks from doing so, most people who smoke it do not have panic attacks, hence there are no (or few) attacks to be kept secret.
If your subsequent panic attacks occurred unrelated to smoking marijuana, and that's what your asking about, the answer is yes and no. Some people do not talk about their panic attacks, and others do so openly.
Does this answer your question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it common to have panic attacks and not know what they are and keep them secret for fear they might think you are crazy/
Doing this is so common that it is really more the rule than the exception (except in people who are already getting treatment for them and have learned about t them, etc.).

The good news is that for as miserable as they are, they are one of the easier mental health conditions to treat.