MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

Our 19 year old daughter has been on Lexapro since she started

Our 19 year old daughter has been on Lexapro since she started college last fall. The physician recommended it because it doesn't have as many side effects as the older meds of its kind. Is it approved for someone her age?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question, yes, it is approved for adults (18 and older).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Originally, he put her on it because she was having anxiety problems and showing some depression. The anxiety, with some OCD, had been coming on since she was about 17. Lexapro has seemed to help that. However, the depression was what I believe is considered "situational depression", due to relationship problems. She broke off the relationship last week. She had a lot of problems with crying, which I feel is part of the healing process. She's planning to make some major changes in her life (including moving back home for awhile). However, this past week she has mentioned it would be easier to be dead. She says she would never actually try suicide. I guess my question is, do you think Lexapro could be the cause? She will be moving home within a few days.
It is always possible that a given person will feel worse - possibly even suicidal - on a given antidepressant. However, this is the minority of people (say, less than 5%). Nonetheless, it must be considered.

The thing to do is have her discuss this with her doctor because it can be tricky to determine if it is due to the medication or due to the fact that the depression is worsening all by itself (unrelated to the Lexapro), and the Lexapro is actually helping the depression to not be as severe as it would be without the Lexapro. If this is the case, then she may benefit from an increased dose; 10mg is a starting dose for adults, and pretty low for a maintenance dose for treating depression in many 19-year-olds.

Does this make sense?