MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.

My 39 year old son has delusions.

Customer Question

My 39 year old son, who lives in NY City, has delusions. One is that he thinks the chair of the graphic design dept at Pratt (nyc) from which he just graduated and I, his mother in Houston, are conspiring against his finding a job. He also believes he was a star at Pratt. He seems to have been unable to understand criticism very accurately.

He believes, e.g., that the department chair called his gym to tell them he is a star. He did get a job recently, but lasted half a day. It wasn't worth his talents, and showed how his mother and the chair were conspiring to push his face in the dirt.

He has also told friends his mother is his biggest supporter, which is much closer to the truth.

He is seeing a psychiatrist who has prescribed Risperidone as a mood stabilizer.

I'm very concerned that his psychiatrist does not know about the delusions, and the extent they affect his job prospects. He seems very ordinary and rational until he gets on certain topics. E.g., his friends don't seem to know.

He's agreed that we - his father and I - can speak to his shrink, but she is reluctant for us to do so.

What can we do?

Btw, the meds seem to damp down the delusions, but if he misses a few evening doses, he gets very upset and delusional. He's inclined to blow up, esp at me.

His father and I are academics, with Oxford doctorates. We have been very supportive of his engagement with arts areas, in part relieved that he wouldn't be in direct competition with either of us.

The main concern is what can we do to help? To speak with his shrink?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.

I'm sorry that you (and your son) are going through this.
Delusions do not tend to resolve on their own. Risperdal can often be helpful, assuming the dose is adequate and it is taken consistently. It is available in an injectable form, designed to be given every two weeks, known as Risperdal Consta. Often this can help with inconsistent dosing, but it may be hard to get a delusional person to consent to injections.

While his psychiatrist may not want to talk to you, it may be the most helpful thing for your son to have this information communicated to his psychiatrist. Even if you simply left this information on her voicemail, it may be eye-opening for her. Honestly, if I were in this position, that's what I would do. I would encourage you to do that.
Does this make sense?
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That makes a lot sense. I might have been able to figure out for myself about leaving her a message, but I an very hesitant to do much when I understand so little. So I appreciate your advice.
I see. In that case, you could always say that your observations are just that - observations - that are only intended to help your son, and that you aren't telling her how to practice medicine or anything, but that you simply wanted her to be aware of what all was going on with your son.
Most psychiatrists I know would be appreciative of such information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for more good advice. I meant that I'm hesitant to initiate any action, but I can just relate some things. Still, it's probably also good to make it clear that I'm not trying to usurp her position.

Outside the scope of my question, perhaps I could remark that my biggest worry with a psychiatrist is being believed. I have had lots of experiences with therapists who regard one's words as mere symptoms that cannot literally be true. I gather that's diminishing.

I think it's much more common to be believed, unless there's a reason to the contrary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Glad I could be of help.