MN Psychiatrist
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience:  Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.
45841547

I am on Effexor 75 for anxiety and recently was out in seroquel

Customer Question

I am on Effexor 75 for anxiety and recently was out in seroquel 50 4 days ago and Valium yesterday to help me sleep. My body is totally relaxed but my mind keeps going and going all night where I'm barely sleeping. Why aren't the meds working? Do I need to up my Effexor dosage??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MN Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a psychiatrist.
To answer your question, it depends on why your thoughts are racing. If it is due to anxiety, increasing the Effexor may help. That said, Effexor can cause or worsen insomnia in some people. If your racing thoughts is due to mania, it would be better helped by taking more Seroquel and/or Valium.
Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I don't know why?? I Have really bad anxiety and was put on Valium for it. I take Effexor at night. I just started the Seroquel 4 days ago. It relaxes my body just my mind is racing about nothing in particular. It I can't fall asleep.
I see. Try taking the Effexor in the morning. At night, it often causes sleep problems. So take it this morning (with food) and if you don't sleep better tonight, reply back to my response and we'll take things from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try it in the morning tomorrow and my doc told me to double my Valium for tonight. Should I skip the Effexor tonight? Will I have withdrawal?
How long have you been on the Effexor at this dose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Over a month.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would that really be causing te insomnia still?? I thought it was only stimulating when you first started.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would that really be causing te insomnia still?? I thought it was only stimulating when you first started. I don't think it's the Effexor I think it's he racing mind why can't I sleep will I sleep.My doc told me to take 30mg Valium tonight to sleep. My anxiety feels better I just want to sleep. I think if the anxiety is getting better my sleep will. Right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Effexor can absolutely keep on causing insomnia for as long as you take it. I see it all the time with patients.
if you've only been on it one month, you can probably simply skip it for a day and not have any withdrawal symptoms.
If the anxiety is getting better, your sleep may well get better, but people can have insomnia aside from anxiety, too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took Effexor 9 years before I quit it last spring. I never had problems sleeping then. I only started having problems when I had a pain attack at night. Could the Effexor really matter that much? Even though it seems to calm me when I take it.
If Effexor didn't cause you insomnia in the past, it's probably not doing it now.
It's more likely that something else is responsible for your insomnia. As there are many causes for insomnia, the cause of yours is really up to your doctor to determine, but it is likely that increasing the Valium and/or Seroquel will help your sleep.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Seroquel doesn't even make me tired. I am scared. I took 10mg valium for the first time last night and I slept 2 hours. I'm exhausted, anxious and feel miserable. I don't even know why I'm on the Seroquel. I feel like I'm caught in a cycle of anxiety I can't get out of. I'm scared of night because I'm afraid I won't sleep.
50mg of Seroquel is pretty small dose. Some patients needs 200mg-300mg or so to sleep. I'd discuss this with your psychiatrist, since he/she knows you and is the one who can prescribe a higher dose for you (if that's what's most appropriate).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was on trazodone 50mg and it worked at times. I asked to e bumped up but my doctore said if the 50 didn't work 100 or 150 won't work either. Is this true? What would be the best sleep/anxiety med?
Often times 100 or 150mg of trazodone does work when a lower dose, does not, at least in my experience. I tend to start adult patients on 50-100mg of trazodone at night for this very reason. At times patients needs more, though. One of my patients is taking 400mg of it nightly and doing very well, sleep-wise, on that dose.
Trazodone is a very good sleep medication as it is non-addictive and can be safely take for years, if need be. This makes it my favorite.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it help with anxiety And depression too? Does it help you fall asleep and stay asleep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it help with anxiety And depression too? Does it help you fall asleep and stay asleep? Will this help me get out of my anxiety cycle I'm in??
Without having assessed you face-to-face, I cannot say if it will help your mood and/or anxiety, but it is a good sleep medication, and enough of it tends to keep people asleep.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it a better sleep med than seroquel or another benzo? I'm not bipolar or manic.
That all depends on the person, their symptoms, their history, etc. There is not one best sleep medication for all people any more than there is one kind of dog breed/mix that is the best pet for all people.
MN Psychiatrist, Psychiatrist
Experience: Physician for 17 years, adult psychiatrist for 13 years working with a wide variety of patients.