Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

how does lexapro compare to zoloft?

how does lexapro compare to zoloft?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. To answer your question directly, they are both SSRIs, but Lexapro also has an antianxiety component, whereas Zoloft is strictly for depression. However, since every one has different body type and chemistry, they work differently for people.

Customer:

I am a 56 year old woman. I havae a famil hstory of depession and have sufferd with fairly mild recurrent deprssion since I was forty. I got sick inJuly with a whole range of symptoms from chest pain and shortness of breath, faintness, extreme ftigue and weakness After may tests, my doctors concluded that my symptoms were caused by psychological factors - depresion and anxiety. I am on 2 mg tabs of clonazepam twice a day and 100 mg of sertraline. I also started hormone replaement therapy two months ago. My anxiety and depression have improveved somewha but my Hormone Doctor says that Zoloft is the wrong medication for me. She says that Zoloft is out dated and that Lexapro would be better for treating "anxiety related depression in menopause." I would like to get off te clonazepam eventually and I suspect that that is what is controllong my anxiety. Is it possible that Lexapro wold control both anxiety and depression eventually letting me weanoff the clonazepam? She recommended a dose of 10 mg.

Customer:

Brad :

I apologize for the technical difficulties I am experiencing on my end. I will be switching to the Q&A format and continue this conversation.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
That is correct. Lexapro has an antianxiety component that will ease you from coming off from clonazepam. Also, your doctor prescribed the lowest therapeutic dose as well so you are in good hands. There are a number of things you can do to ease your anxiety. First, I suggest taking deep breaths where you breath in where your stomach expands, and breath out where your stomach deflates. Do this 10 times when feeling stressed or anxious. The deep breathing is a distraction technique from the anxiety. If the deep breaths do not work, I encourage you to think about something that is pleasurable. Another suggestion I have is to use a technique called "thought stopping" where you just tell yourself "stop, stop, stop" over and over again until the thought disappears. Thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all interrelated so another suggestion I have is to change one of these things. For example, if you have thoughts that you are not going to succumb the pressure, challenge the thought which will change your feelings and behaviors. If you feel sad and isolate yourself, don't isolate yourself and force yourself to do the opposite which will change your feelings and thoughts.Also the use of both therapy and medication has found to be most effective, according to the latest research.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you reply to the quetion that I typed in above? Maybe I typed it in the wrong place o I will type it again here. I am a 56 year old woman who has a family hisstory of depression. I have suffered with episodes of mild to moderate depression since I was forty but I didn't take mddication. I got sick last July with a arange of sysmptims including chest pain, shortness of breath, diareah, extrem fatigue , weakness ad faintness. after a whole range o test the doctors ecided that my symptoms were cused be psychlogicl factors. My psychiatrist prescribed 100 mg of setralie a two 1 mg tablets of clomazepam a day. I haave also started on hormone replacemnt threrapy for two months. After my follow up blood draw for hormones my hornon dctor said thatsertraline is the wrong drug. she said that it is out dated and 10 mg of Lexapro woud be better. I would like to get off the clomazepam eventually and maybe the Lexapro would take its place in controlling my anxiety. What do you think? I'm countin on you brad! Where are you?
I would follow your doctor's advice on taking 10mg of Lexapro as it can be very effective.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What arguments would you advise I use wit my phichiatrist since she thought that seertraline was the best choice?
Inform your psychiatrist that you received a second opinion regarding your medications and that you are following that doctor's advice. Another argument you have is that you needed something for anxiety, which Zoloft does not treat.
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults