TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have this bad habit of "Deciding, By Not Deciding." Too often,

I have this bad habit of "Deciding, By Not Deciding." Too often, I may change my mind about something 8 different times and then barely make a decision on or around the 9th attempt, and even then I struggle to stick to that decision. Too often, people get frustrated with me and tell me "Make up your mind." or "Are you going to do it or not?" Is there something in the field of Psychology that would explain how a person can tackle this problem? And if so, how and what? Thank you.

Hi, and thank you for the request. It is good to talk with you again.

What you are describing sounds like it might be mild symptoms of OCD- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The different obsessions are described by the traits they represent. In your case, it sounds like you may have a decision making trait that is causing this problem. It is marked by your ability to know exactly how many times you have tried to decide something each time you make a decision. Then you are bothered by the trouble you have making the decision.

This is not an uncommon problem and can be addressed with medication and behavior modifying therapy. OCD is thought to be caused by a lack of serotonin in your brain. You have enough to start a thought but not enough to end it. There also is a physiological change in the brains of people who have obsessive thoughts where the basal ganglia, the area of the brain where thoughts originate, is flawed. Any SSRI- serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor- medication can help address the problem and control your behavior. Therapy can also teach you to cope by helping you to change your behavior.

Also, learning more about your issue will help you make informed decisions and find resources that you need to help yourself. First, you need a definitive diagnosis from a therapist or psychiatrist. You can find one through your doctor or search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Here is some information about OCD. You can use it to see if it fits any other symptoms you may have:

http://helpguide.org/mental/obsessive_compulsive_disorder_ocd.htm

With medication and therapy, you should be able to find it much easier to make decisions.

Let me know if I can help any further,

Kate