Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

Having a tough bout of anxiety need advice

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no response!
Thank you for your post. Please tell me more about your anxiety. When did this first start? What are you anxious about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi - sorry i clicked on accept by accident... In the past few years when I have a health concern I get a bout of acute anxiety that causes: dry mouth, complete loss of appetite, shutdown of bowels, some sweating and disturbed sleep. Its sort of a hypochondria/health anxiety that retreats with a positive test result or reassurance from a dr. This time, it changed and after my reassurance the anxiety clung on to the anxiety itself and i'm unable to shake it
Not a problem about clicking the "accept" button. I will continue to respond to your question. Thank you for your response. There are a number of things you can do to ease your anxiety. First, I suggest taking deep breaths where you breath in where your stomach expands, and breath out where your stomach deflates. Do this 10 times when feeling stressed or anxious. The deep breathing is a distraction technique from the anxiety. If the deep breaths do not work, I encourage you to think about something that is pleasurable. Another suggestion I have is to use a technique called "thought stopping" where you just tell yourself "stop, stop, stop" over and over again until the thought disappears. Thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all interrelated so another suggestion I have is to change one of these things. For example, if you have thoughts that you are not going to succumb the pressure, challenge the thought which will change your feelings and behaviors. If you feel sad and isolate yourself, don't isolate yourself and force yourself to do the opposite which will change your feelings and thoughts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately none of that works for me - the breathing works if my heart races but that's not a big issue this time around. My neighbor is a Dr. who encouraged my to try a xanax but i didnt like it - as you know the feeling is desperate and nothing seems to break it for more than a few minutes
What about the distraction technique I mentioned? Or challenging the thoughts you are having that is causing your anxiety? Although Xanax is used as anti-anxiety medication, it can be addictive and not ideal. Have you consider seeing your doctor for SSRI's such as Lexapro or Celexa?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have but I am resistant to medication - in fact the idea of getting on something like that is what I'm obsessing about in a vicious circle. I'm in a tough spot.
What makes you resistant to medications? What are your fears about taking medications?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took a xanax for the first time yesterday - when I woke up this morning I needed another one - when that wore off i needed another one, but havent taken it - I can already see that I can become psychologically dependant on the pill - even if it was a placebo - because I feel I have that sort of immediate dependance
Xanax is also very addictive because it is a benzodiazapine. this feeling of taking xanax is a distraction to your current anxiety. Please consider seeing a doctor tomorrow for any other medications such as an SSRI that is not addictive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I plan to do just that thank you - I must go put my kids to bed now - snuggling with them helps. thanks again..good night
Great way to decrease anxiety!I wish you all the best!