Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

i was on zoloft for years, then quit for about 8 months, tried

i was on zoloft for years, then quit for about 8 months, tried lexapro and a major negative reaction (all the symptons of Seratonin Syndrome, but called my doc and he said just to wait till effects wear off, which they did within like 5 hours). I'm afraid to start any SSRI again, including zoloft for fear of having a similar negative reaction (even though zoloft worked for me in past). I have 50mg of zoloft generic and was advised to take 25mg to start for one week. I'm afraid to even take 25mg, will I be ok, should I split in half again (12.5mg) or will that even matter?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 4 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. 25mg of Zoloft is the lowest dosage of Zoloft to be effective. Cutting it in half will not do anything (or there will be no therapeutic value.) After taking it for a week and if you experience headaches or increased anxiety, please contact your doctor.

Customer:

ok, but should I take zoloft again, or look at some other medication... i've read there are newer ones out now that work better with less side effects. My main problems are severe anxiety and panic attacks.... i'm afraid i'll have same negative reaction to zoloft that I had on lexapro last and now I have pills but cannot even take them because i get severe anxiety i'm going to hav ea reaction to them

Customer:

also, i'm very depressed (obvs).

Customer:

also, my fear comes from reading now that some have had their panics attacks worsen with zoloft (originally I took zoloft for depression, i never started having panic attacks until trying too and eventually stopping my zoloft RX)....

Brad : my suggestion is to follow your doctor's prescription and instructon if your doctor prescribed zoloft after explaining all of your concerns to the doctor, just like what you did with me. Antidepressants can be used to reduce anxiety so please rest assure about the use of SSRIs. Also, many SSRIs work differently with people because of dffernt body chemistry.
Brad : also, have you cnsidered therapy? Research shows the combination of medications and therapy is the most ffctive way to treat depression and anxiety
Customer:

thanks for your suggestions. I am now taking the pill and will be attending therapy asap.