TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

"Kate" I want to digress a little bit before getting to the

"Kate" I want to digress a little bit before getting to the heart of the matter and the question. When I was a teenager, I remember hearing a speaker at high school talk about Teen Sex and Pregnancy and she said that raising a child can be difficult for teenagers because "TEENAGERS STILL WANT TO HAVE FUN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE AND FIND IT DIFFICULT TO HANDLE TOO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY." Now I will get to the heart of the matter and the question: When I started my first real job at the age of 24, I suffered and struggled because even though the job was supposed to be only for 8 hours per day, there were some circumstances in my job that would push one to bring their work home with them either because they had to plan or think things through or to think of a strategy or to try to memorize things from the job and things of that nature. And I was not up to that because when the 8 hours were done, I felt that I had a life and I just wanted to relax and have fun. So my question is this: Was I like a 24 year old teenager, seeing that I seemed to "STILL WANT TO HAVE FUN WHEN I CAME HOME AND FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO HANDLE TOO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY THAT WOULD REQUIRE ME TO BRING WORK HOME" or was it something else or could it have been something else? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hello! It's good to hear from you.

Most people feel that when the work day is done, they are done. Very few people want to continue beyond that point because they see the time they have outside of work their time. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is not because you did not want responsibility or that you never grew out of being a teenager. And having a baby as a teen is quite different than having a job you want a break from when you are 24 years old.

You were young and that may have been a small factor in it. If you did not have any other responsibilities, including a family yet, you may have wanted to enjoy yourself in your own pursuits. But again, that is not immaturity, that is just wanting to set boundaries with your job and personal life. That is something people actually need to do to deal with stress.

The only jobs that you could not expect to have a division of personal life and work are careers such as doctor, lawyer, military and police officer. Their jobs tend to be part of who they are and not just a job.