Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults
50717502

I am a male, 67 years old, and I have been accused by my 28

I am a male, 67 years old, and I have been accused by my 28 yr. old daughter, of being manipulative and a narcissist. What type of counselor/phychiatrist, handles issues like this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 5 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your post. To answer your question directly, I suggest a psychologist that take a psychodynamic/psychoanalytic approach to therapy to be the most effective.

Customer:

Would that be a Psychiatrist, Social worker, or other title? I am not familiar with the "named" approach, that you have mentioned.

Brad :

I recommend a psychologist.

Customer:

When making an appointment,. with a psychologist, would the receptionist know if this psychologist, specializes in the approach you mentioned?

Brad :

The psychodynamic/psychoanalytic approach consists of the psychologist helping their client in understanding behaviors, thoughts and feelings that may be construed as narcissist or being manipulative.

Brad :

When making an appointment, you can ask what theoretical approach the psychologist takes and you should receive an answer.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help. I will pursue your suggestion.

Brad :

great! best wishes

Brad :

please consider pressing the "accept" button for me to receive credit for my time and effort