TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, Thanks for your help Kate. This has been a very difficult

Thanks for your help Kate. This has been a very difficult weekend for me but having you as a support has helped me enormously.

I did find some peace at church yesterday and because my daughter and I are well known there, it is like seeing old friends that we may not have seen for a bit. Plus my daughter alter serves and it always makes me feel proud to watch her carry out her duties.

Doing something today and for sure tomorrow will be extremely difficult for me right now. I cannot believe how sad I feel right now. It feels like it is covering me up and I can't get air. I just want to curl up in bed and sleep until - well for a while. I hate waking up in the morning knowing I have yet another day to face. With all this sadness my OCD is much much worse. It is so frustrating and makes me feel even sadder. But I don't know how to control them. I've read info on it plus I have a workbook but when I feel so badly, nothing seems to work.

I will have to plan something for tomorrow because I can't stop thinking about being alone. I wish I could do somethng that would make me feel better but I don't know what that would be.

Anyway, thanks so much for being around this weekend. I'm not sure how i would have gotten this far or coped if it weren't for you. It would have been extremely difficult and I would have felt extremely alone.

Kathy, thank you very much for your kindness. I appreciate what you said. It was nice to hear!

When you feel such overwhelming sadness remember that it is a feeling. It may seem like there is a wet blanket holding you down and causing you to feel like you do. And it may also feel as if there is nothing you can do about it. That is the dilemma with depression. It brings you to a point where you feel too weak to overcome how you feel.

But if you think of it as just a feeling, you can help yourself feel better. By thinking of your depression as a feeling, you separate it from you as a person. See your depression as something like a cold, it makes you feel like you don't want to do anything but if you had to you could. And just like a cold, once you get moving, you find you had more energy than you thought. You may collapse at the end of the day from the effort, but each time you try it will get easier.

Also, you are only a day and some hours away from seeing your therapist. You have made it through almost a whole weekend on your own and you have done very well. You took care of yourself, got to church with your daughter and put one foot in front of another. That takes strength and fortitude. That is something you can share with your therapist when you see her. She will be happy to hear it!