Brad The Therapist
Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience:  10 years of experience in working with youth and adults

Can you help me regarding Excessive Daytime Sleepiness?

Can you help me regarding Excessive Daytime Sleepiness? I am insulin dependent diabetic and take the following medications: Zoloft, Premia, Metformin, Insulin, Januvia, Nexium Throughout my life I have found that I fall asleep easily if lectured or in a seminar. However, this condition is worse now and complicated by either low or high blood sugar. I do have difficulty getting the insulin units to fit my day's activities. My brother has MS and he recommended Modavigil or Alertec [he lives in Ontario, Canada]. Should I give this a try?

I forgot to mention.  I am 56 yo female separated, but not divorced.  I have a 16 yo daughter and my mom is in aged care.  I have an important job as Senior Analyst at Graylands Hospital, a psychiatric facility.  I analyse large datasets using statistical software. 

I am still working full-time, but it is a struggle as I often fall asleep at work.  Sometimes I can take my work home.  Othertimes I can nap in my office.
My supervisors, a psychiatrist and psychologist, are understanding but I want to be a good worker.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Brad The Therapist replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Thank you for your question. Before providing suggestion, I have a few question. What has your doctor say about your sleepiness? Did the doctor atribute this to side effects of your medications? Also, how is your sleep at night? How much do you sleep and what is the quality of your sleep?

Customer:

My doctor at first thought it was my haemachromatosis. However, this is under control now as I had a year of venesections. He has thought it might be sleep apnea and suggested I have a sleep study.

Customer:

I fall asleep for about 4 hours at a time. So I need to get two lots of these four hour blocks. I am much more alert at night. This has caused difficulties in gaining regular sleep patterns. Since a small child, I did not seem to have regular sleep patterns and did not ever feel sleepy at night.

Customer:

I have tried watching my night-time sleep pattern using my mobile phone app and I seem to take an hour to slip into deep sleep. I then seem to have about 1 or 2 cycles of deep sleep before waking very early. I can then do stuff very well but can easily fall asleep again after breakfast. I am trying to counteract this by taking more long acting insulin doses which sometimes helps.

Customer:

The daytime sleepiness is very strong after eating, but lasts only a short time if I keep my insulin injections up. The only problem is that then I easily slip into a hypo coma as too much insulin awakens me but then sends me to sleep [coma].

Customer:

I need to sleep now, so I will look at your answer tomorrow if you are not too busy.

Customer:

It is 2:34 am here in Perth.

Customer:

Should I wait for you or go?

Brad :

Thank you for your response. My first suggestion for you is to create a sleep routine where you go to bed at the same time every night. Have a night time ritual of that is the same everynight, and wake up in the morning at the same time, even if you have a tough time waking up. Make sure there is no lights in your room when you sleep such as a tv being on, and have dark curtains. When you try to sleep but can't fall sleep after 15 minutes, get out of bed and leave the bedroom. Do something you will find boring or uses your brain such as reading the paper, book, or doing a crossword puzzle. Never go on the computer or watch television as the light will make you stay awake. Drink sleepytime tea or ask your doctor about melatonin (which is a natural supplement for sleep). during the day, please try not to take a nap as this disrupts your sleep during the night. If you need to rest your eyes, make sure you only do this for 15 minutes (nothing any longer).

Brad The Therapist, LCPC
Experience: 10 years of experience in working with youth and adults