Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

"For Kate McCoy" How can one deal with working in a job that

"For Kate McCoy" How can one deal with working in a job that he/she hates and where changing jobs is not an option? Is there a psychological secret to deal with such a dilemna? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for requesting my help.

To help yourself to cope with a job you dislike, changing your perspective is key. Though it is ideal to leave a job you do not like and feel trapped in, today's economic situation does not allow for much choice right now for many people. So coping the best you can until change is possible is the best option.

Psychologically, a job you are unhappy about can effect every part of your life. Because people get a lot of their value from their work, when it goes bad it can cause depression, anxiety, stress and sleep problems. To change this, there are ways to cope. Here are some suggestions:

Change how you see your job. If you feel trapped for instance, start seeing your job as a chance to learn. Take on a new project, talk to co workers outside of your department, help someone with their work or take more control of your work day by changing your schedule.

See if you can do more outside of the office/ work place. The less contact you have with people you do not enjoy or an uncomfortable office situation the better. Getting out allows you to see the world outside of your job and feel less like you are trapped.

Keep looking for a new job. Do your best to keep it quiet, but never give up looking. If you can, network a lot on your current job. Meet everyone you can and show them your skills through your work. Pass out personal business cards if you have them. Follow up. Be friendly. You never know when someone will let you in on a new job opening.

Find out why you hate your job. Explore what is making you miserable. Is it the backbiting atmosphere, the pushy boss or the type of work you do? If you can find out why you are unhappy, you may be able to turn it around to make your job more bearable.

When you are away from your job, do things that help you relax and make you feel happy. Explore hobbies, hang out with friends, do family activities.

Consider going back to school. Many people are going back now to deal with the poor economy. Change careers or add to your current education. It will give you some hope of getting away from your current situation and into a better career.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess what I hate about my job is that it is boring and when I see how often and the kind of mistakes people make on their paperwork, it frustrates me because I have to correct it and I have also gotten behind. Is there any more information you can give me based on this extra information? Thank you.

If you are bored at your job and find your co worker's frustrating, it sounds like you need more of a challenge. It may be that you have outgrown your job or that you are in the wrong job for your skill level.

You may want to explore other jobs/ careers to see what you might like instead. Try talking with a career counselor or try a life coach. Or you might want to think about trying to move up in your company or trying to move to another company that offers better opportunities. Either way, addressing your boredom is important because it is unlikely to improve if you stay.

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Getting behind and thoughts about the economy I guess scare me too.

It is natural to feel scared about the economic situation. But working on improving your situation while you are still working can help you once the economy does improve. Also, it helps to keep your options open by networking and job searches.

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.