Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I think my girlfriend is bipolar ,she keeps leaving me when

I think my girlfriend is bipolar ,she keeps leaving me when it seems we are getting really close , has great expectations of herself to be famous in the future when happy and dissapears into herself and wont talk to me when down . She has just left me for the 4th time in 3 years and has sent me a email breaking up and saying goodbye for the 4th time . I love her and want to support her but she wont answer me .
Should i just leave her alone or try to see and talk to her .
Thanks , Mark
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about the problems your girlfriend has and the associated stress this must cause for you.

Bill :

In cases where there is a series of break-ups,moving out, the prognosis for any lasting change is quite poor, even in cases where there is no other issues such as BiPolar Disorder.

Bill :

If you feel that you can tolerate the relationship as it is, what you see is what you are likely to get in the future and you have to plan accordingly.

Bill :

If you want to learn more about how to be supportive of someone with BiPolar Disorder, see the following link which has excellent advice on how to address this issue.

Bill :

I wish you the very best with this most difficult situation.

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

PLEASE CLICK GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill :

Thanks and have the best possible day!